Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 07-12-2006 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber

need help with boolens operation...

hey guys... well im trying to model my own imagenitive church.. but for some reason ived come to a stop because something wont work.. im trying to make another window for the next level but it wont work, it keeps disappearing... can anyone help me here? ived done the same steps as the bottom but for the 2nd level its not working...

thanks, Marlon...

perspective view:

user added image

side view:

user added image

# 2 07-12-2006 , 12:45 PM
Subscriber
In case you haven't tried it, Booleans can sometimes work better if you seperate the task into smaller chunks.

In this case, I would select the windows and then seperate them back into individual windows before trying them one by one. I can't tell you why it works, but sometimes it just does.

Hope it helps.
Simon

EDIT: I've just looked more closely and noticed the window's one object. Hmm. Possibly constructing the second level out of a seperate cube may help, that you then attach to level one at a later stage. Similarly, trying to do the boolean on a cube with more x,y&z divisions may help. Then you could just delete the unneccesary edges and verts after the boolean op is done.

Last edited by enhzflep; 07-12-2006 at 12:50 PM.
# 3 07-12-2006 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
hey enhzflep, thanks for the reply...

ived tried to separate them into small little peices and individualy do it but it still wont work and both peices end up disappearing.

ived also even tried just attaching a simply polygon cube and it wont even work aswell...

if this keeps on happen i might just have to do what you said before, which i was just thinking a couple of mins ago which is to do the levels seperately and then just combine and merge vertex's at the end with a finished result... which is abit of a hassel but it will get the job done.

thanks for the reply again... cheers
marlon

# 4 07-12-2006 , 03:20 PM
I find this is a common problem when you do a boolean on something that you have already done a boolean on.

my suggestion is that you use the split polygon tool to break the wall into a series of slices which you then extract, so you have a number of pieces of individual geometry (like planks), cut a hole in each one with the boolean and then merge them back together.