Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 27-04-2007 , 06:18 PM
Subscriber
wow I wouldn't have thought a little ball joint instead of a bulky shaft would make that much of a difference. it's lookin good, keep up the good work!

# 17 28-04-2007 , 03:08 AM

Body pretty much completed...

With the redesign of the hip joints I am calling the body modeling portion of this project completed.

I'll be moving on to the head soon....

UPDATE:

Feet on correct side now (lol)

I refined the torso a bit. I am calling thhis version model B2. It has my redesigned hip joints and standard size chest.

I call this B2 because in my original version I enhanced the chest.

I'll post that version as well. Not sure which I like the best.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 01-05-2007 at 12:11 PM.
# 18 28-04-2007 , 03:09 AM
back w and w/o procedural textures

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 29-04-2007 at 05:00 PM.
# 19 29-04-2007 , 05:02 PM

I call this verion Breastzilla

The first version of the torso I did I enhanced the chest a bit. Since I refined the entire torso I kept both versions.

Here is model B1: large chested Alexia...

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 29-04-2007 , 05:03 PM
and the back ...

I am a bit delayed on the head. I decdied I am going to use a different face model then the one in the video. I need to grab a couple pictures of her to model from.

Cheers!
Rick M.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 30-04-2007 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber

Newbie question ;)

Hey
really nice pice of work !!
i started that tutorial a while ago as well.
like u, i tried to make my own version of a male android.. i somehow messed some parts up and now its hard for me to start all over.. i hope its okay that i add one of my renderings maby u could help me fixing that guy user added image wid some ideas..

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 01-05-2007 , 12:22 PM
I have put the head modeling on hold. I want to use a different head model and need to grab some reference photos.

In the mean time I started putting her skeleton together. It's a pretty straight forward affair. Just rigid bind to most of the joints. I could have gone the parenting route but I prefer to keep the geometry and the rigging seperate.

The only section I am not sure how to do is the abdominal region. The sections betwewen the torso and the pelvis should be able to twist and bend, but I am not sure how to put the joints in this section (one at the top of the pelvis and one at the base of the torso?).

I am not sure how to bind this region (smooth bind or put a lattice on it and bind the lattice)?

I scribbled some notes on my thoughts....

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 01-05-2007 at 03:46 PM.
# 23 01-05-2007 , 01:58 PM
really sweet work, am new to maya, posted my first work the other day i was just wondering, how would you do a shiney, scratched rusty metal look, for say doing an old andriod?

love the work though, sweet!!!

polygon pusher
# 24 01-05-2007 , 02:25 PM
Subscriber
err?? wow.., user added image you have nearly gone the Manga classic design route but lost it a bit around the pelvis and hip. the arms (your version) are PERFECT, really .., wow!? but the hips and pelvis look out of proportion to the shoulder/arms. Too big and pelvis too small. Looks better from the back (maybe a clue there??) but I can still see it looks out of proportion. I think you stopped redesign when you should have kept going, if you can get a balance (dont ask me how) between the top part of the torso to the lower part, she'll be a knock out my friend. already is but yu know what I mean.

Thats some fast work there, must have been some pizza, .., spicy?? user added image

great stuff, this model begs to put one's own touch to it.., I keep thinking of what I think Kurt was trying to achieve with his free form free franky tut.., to sort of show beginners like me that one can play around a bit wwhen modeling, use it like clay and create something that truly belongs to one's self.

user added image user added image

glad I got you thinking, we are ALL better off for this model you are making.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 25 01-05-2007 , 02:27 PM
Subscriber
if you are having trouble with animating the legs, have you thought of non-linear animation via Tracks editor, or is that what you mean you could have gone the way of parenting??

you dont need a skeleton with non linear animation, but I have a strong feeling you already know this user added image

# 26 01-05-2007 , 04:03 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I am sure I will continue to tinker with the body (as usual I got fixated on the breasts). I have half a dozen variations on the upper body and have modified the upper leg a bit.

The pelvis and hips do have me scratching my head a bit. If you look at the final model in the tutorial you will see that the abdomen and pelvis are much smaller then my design. In fact the pelvis is practically nothing more then a torus flipped on its side. The Hips are as large or larger then mine and thicker and more rounded at the tops. The affect is very nice though. Overall the version in the tutorial looks more petite. I was kinda going for a more full bodied look. But I am sure I will continue to fiddle with the proportions.

I had to drive a stake in the ground at some point and wanted to get a skeleton in place. I'll probably have the photos I need to work on finishing the head geometry off this weekend.

As for animating the legs. With the ball and socket design they are easy to animate and will be able to be posed quite naturally. This design is a big improvement over the simple nurbs cylinder in the tutorial (IMO).

The only bit I am struggling with is how to design the skeleton and bind around the abdominal region. I want to be able to twist her but the upper torso and pelvis are fixed so the bands in the abdominal region will have to deform while the torso and pelvis they attach to cannot. I am not sure how to resolve this as I am quite inexperienced at rigging. Somehow I am thinking a lattice around that region would somehow work.

Last edited by ctbram; 01-06-2007 at 09:06 PM.
# 27 02-05-2007 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
yes, its all opinion. interesting you have actually increased the pelvis area ( i was meaning pelvis to crutch IMO). BUT the tut has a more petite look? ??? well I cant wait to see what you mean. your's IS shapely and this morning it doesnt look so[pronounced?? Still, there is a balance of design to consider. IMO.

as for binding and joints, that's over my head at this stage, I dont know the difference between soft or rigid binding??? And going by the joint designs you have created..?? well it would seem knowledge must be relative because you seem to have a very good knowledge in this area and so also have a good knowledge of binding and so also must be modest.., a trait I've seen here at SM a few times before user added image

fixated on breasts?? yes, same happened to me, ,,. 'just a little bit here and a little bit there, and hang to one side just a fraction without losing shape'.., must be the child inside user added image

the week end?? look forward to it, this is one of the most interesting models I have seen for a while and also original, which is strange as it came off a tut originally??

ps, speaking of pelvises, fabster has an interesting one going with his /male (???)' android, very male, looks like a pleasure model?? user added image I wonder whose face he used for the face plate?? first post too?
user added image

Last edited by mirek03; 02-05-2007 at 03:45 AM.
# 28 05-05-2007 , 04:59 AM

Update: completed head and neck

I am still waiting to get some photos for the head model I want to use but in the mean time I got bored and knocked out a version with the head model supplied with the tutorial.

think it is a closer match to the photograph then the version modeled in the tutorial.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 05-05-2007 at 05:41 AM.
# 29 05-05-2007 , 05:02 AM

Full body w/head front...

Full body w/head front...

Some shots of the full body with the head. I am still grappling with scale on a number of parts.

- lengthened the arms
- scales the torso and abdomen in z-axis
- narrowed then rescaled the legs. (if I narrow the hips the proportions just don't look right to me).

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 05-05-2007 , 05:03 AM
back...

Attached Thumbnails