Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-03-2003 , 09:01 AM
Subscriber

Simple Modelling Question???

OK if I go to create>nurbs>primitive>square. Now we have 4 independent lines that form the square. Now I want to connect all these lines so that it's a closed curve(square). If I do edit nurbs>open close curve...it does not work.
So i tried selecting 2 curves and then attching them to each other. Which worked so I have a "L" shaped line then I attached the 3rd line and had "I_I" shaped line. My problem is when I attach the final 4th line it does not form a clean square but the 4th line attaches to the "I_I" shape in a curved form. Why does this happen???

# 2 19-03-2003 , 11:48 AM
Subscriber
First of all, I do not think nurbs squares were ever ment to have their curves joined together like that. I don't thonk it is possible to join all of the curves together because of the limitations that go along with curves in Maya. From past experience I think the reason is that a curve cannot have a fork in it. (like a Y)

# 3 19-03-2003 , 12:18 PM
Subscriber
Here I was trying every way:-)
Darkway thanks for your time. Appreciate it :-)

grrrr
# 4 21-03-2003 , 01:48 AM

Revolve a cubic curve...

I believe, if you want a closed curve NURBS Cube, you can draw a linier curve along the axis and then revolve it... I think you will get the result you are looking for...

on the axis, it will look like:

A ____
X'''''''''''|
I''''''''''''| <--- Revolve this.
S____|

LYNX

Kind regards,

LYNX

Last edited by lynx; 21-03-2003 at 01:53 AM.
# 5 22-03-2003 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
because your problem is with the final curve, it leads me to believe its something to do with the curve degree

as a default, maya would use 3 cubic (if you open up the options for the CV curve tool ull see what i mean)
3 cubic means that you draw 3 points, and the "curve" wont form until your next (4th point)
you might want to try using 1 linear which wont give you any curviness at all
this could be your problem although i have never tried it and thought it was only to do with drawing of curves, but its alli can come up with

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 6 22-03-2003 , 12:51 PM
Subscriber
Nem....you were "SPOT ON"

grrrr
# 7 22-03-2003 , 01:20 PM
The problem may be the fourth line. U should reverse the direction of the line and attach them. Try it.

# 8 22-03-2003 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
hehe i do try user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com