Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 106 23-01-2011 , 03:40 PM
Cheers Mastone, yeah still need to add some more details to the texture map and model but is nearly there. Am mainly working on the face robot stuff at the mo but will get back to finishing the models up very soon.

Cheers,

Leon

# 107 23-01-2011 , 04:34 PM
Subscriber
re: the render of the face. Really nice grain and soft light feel. How was this done? Also, I guess you used Zbrush for the skin creases and wrinkles...is that normal mapped?

# 108 23-01-2011 , 05:22 PM
Hi ben,
Sorry I should of said, I took the render into PS and used a film grain filter on it and for the skin, yeah you guessed it I took it into zbrush and generated a normal map.
I am not happy with the texture on the face at the moment as it is very basic and will do something much better before rendering anything final. I probably will use a similar filter though to help with the overall look though.

# 109 27-01-2011 , 09:30 AM

# 110 27-01-2011 , 11:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Looking like the real deal mate....cant wait for the ending!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 111 30-01-2011 , 02:09 PM
Ok think this is nearly done now. I realized I need to model + texture the indicator lights, exhaust pipe, rear lights and side mirrors so will do those at some point soon as I will then be able to call the hummer finished.

user added image

user added image

# 112 11-02-2011 , 07:18 AM
Done some more work on the characters. I have 3 variants with a CT guy, soldier and paratrooper. I still need to uv and texture a few areas on the others but will post them once complete. I have also uv'd the M-4, M-16 and M-60 and hope to get some ref images for texturing soon. I am at a big conference with work and should be able to get a load of texture ref for the black hawk and also get inside the ch-47 which will enable me to finish up the cockpit.

user added image

# 113 11-02-2011 , 09:12 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow thats cool mate...you also must have a bloody good job!!! swap you for a week??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 114 27-02-2011 , 01:54 AM
haha cheers Bullet, am very fortunate to be getting paid to do something I enjoy. Sorry there have been no updates on this for a while but have been doing a lot of testing lately with getting facial capture back into Maya and perfecting setting up the heads in face robot. Finally got everything sussed and working good without having any trouble impoting the captures back into Maya and onto the rig.

This is the main reason I am posting as I am not sure f this will be interest to others of you out there. Discovered an app called point oven which is 100usd. It allows you to import mdd files which are files that have keyframes set to the vertex information or something of the like. With point oven I am also able to create mdd files as it bakes the motion capture files or key framed animation in Maya.
Have never been able to get rigged characters into other apps in the past without running into issues with weights etc. Was usually able to get into 3ds max but with cinema, lightwave and others I would often run into problems. Have been able to get these mdd files into any app that already reads them or has a plug in for this without any problems though.
I know most people/companies tend to use one app as it is often a bag of worms when you start introducing other software. This is just very useful as one of my workmates can now set up dust, fire and cloth simulations in cinema as he can get much better and more realistic results than I can achieve in Maya.
Not sure if this will be of interest to anyone but if so hope it helps.
Also just need to model/texture the controls for the chinook so with any luck it will be finished today. Have also started on a C-130 and the exterior is complete and has an empty interior at the mo. I will try and get some renders up in the next day or so.

Cheers,

Leon

Last edited by leonlabyk; 27-02-2011 at 12:30 PM.
# 115 03-03-2011 , 07:03 PM
couple of renders with messing around with AE. Prob a bit overkill but gives an idea. Will try to get some shots of the c-130 up tomorrow.

user added image

user added image

Cheers,

Leon

# 116 04-03-2011 , 08:44 AM
Some texture progress on the soldier + some wires and un textured views of the C-130. Hope to have the rest of the soldier textured later today along with the para. Will post some renders and wires when done.

Cheers

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 117 04-03-2011 , 09:28 AM
Lifetime Member
wow mate...thats a really impressive bunch of models mate!!! I can see a lot of work involved!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 118 04-03-2011 , 04:07 PM
Some more progress, need to texture up the hand + model and texture some gloves.

Yeah is taking time to get all this finished up but hope it will all be worth it in the end Bullet.

Cheers

user added image

# 119 14-03-2011 , 04:20 PM
Just a few more bits to model but everything so far is UVd. No need for the cockpit on this one and will just be the main interior/exterior

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 120 14-03-2011 , 05:13 PM
The Nurb Herd
looks great, (apart from the vignette, its just not my cup of tea. don't see the point.) user added image
the models are really detailed... what are they for?

not keen on the sky dive guy, he is really soft and the clothes look baggy, despite falling through the air.