Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 23-11-2004 , 08:44 PM

A Maya6 start up setting problem

Hello everyone, my first post here :p

Today I was doing some practice on 3D modeling, texturing, and rendering. I saved my work, exit Maya, and out for lunch. When I was back, I opened Maya again and found the default persp view looks quite weird. Here is a picture of what it looks like:
user added image

You can see that only a small part of the grid is shown. When I switch to the four view, no grid is shown in the other three at all. When I zoomed in the persp view, more grid was shown but never whole, and the other three view was not affected. It looks as if there is a invisible wall blocking part of the screen.
user added image
It is a plane new scene with no objects added, all show grid options in all views are turned on. Didn't use any default scene either. When I add a new object, it will show in persp view if I adjust the angle to let it "emerge" from the invisible wall. However, nothing in other views. I didn't find anything wrong in previous practicing, and when I load the saved works, everything seems ok. So I suppose I just touched some options without noticing. Could someone help me, or tell me how I can reset the default settings? Thanks in advance! user added image

Last edited by yingying; 23-11-2004 at 08:47 PM.
# 2 23-11-2004 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
I'll be helpful next time if you post some specs of your machine..

but by judging from all the windows opened (Including Photoshop) at the same time I'd say you have a low virtual memory problem..

when running maya, have minimal stuff opened ensuring that it can use all possible virtual memory

-Emo

# 3 23-11-2004 , 10:49 PM
Thanks Emo for responding user added image

Well, my computer is a DELL dimension 3000 with P4 3.0 HT CPU, 512 RAM, 160 Hard drive, Video card is Geforce 5200 with 128 RAM. Well, following your suggestion, I rebooted my system and reopened Maya 6 without other program running save anti-virus and firewall, but it still like that user added image Further more, I don't think that's a memory issue, as I have a system resource management tool, and you can see in the 2nd picture at botton-right corner, next to the clock, there is a small black box with number 114, which is how many RAM left. So...

I tried to apply a previous work as the default scene using the New Scene option box, but when starting a new scene, the screen still look like that :angry: While I can open that scene without problem. All grid are there when switching to four views. Weird hum?

someone say bye, someone say hi
some may forget you, but never would i...

Last edited by yingying; 23-11-2004 at 11:05 PM.
# 4 24-11-2004 , 09:59 AM
select the camera, open the attribute editor and change the far clipping plane to a higher number.

I don't think it's a problem with your machine.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 24-11-2004 , 04:57 PM
Subscriber
I've had that problem too, and I re-installed Maya and it works fine now, so I don't think it's a machine problem either... Thanks Alan, I'll try that out if it ever happens again... A lot easier than re-installing user added image

# 6 24-11-2004 , 05:25 PM
you certainly don't need to re-install user added image

:bandit:

Alan

IMDB
# 7 24-11-2004 , 05:40 PM
Thanks Alan, it works! \^o^/
So glad to have my dear views back to normal. Seems need to take more time studying camera user added image

The only problem now is, when I create a new scene, the views are still like the ugly one, and I have to reset cameras each time. Could someone tell me how to make my camera attribut settings as default startup settings? I tried to make my own scence as a default new, but that doesn't help. Thanks in advance!

# 8 24-11-2004 , 06:32 PM
windows>>settings and preferences>>preferences>>camera>> far clip planes.

Then file>>save preferences
That should do it

:bandit:

Alan

IMDB
# 9 24-11-2004 , 06:39 PM
Thanks again Alan! You are so helpful user added image Greatly appreciate it!