Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 19-03-2007 , 02:25 PM

Textures/Materials highlights problem

Hello, I am pretty new to Maya. I am trying to do some simple smiley balls.

I created a material, for the color I loaded a simple smiley face texture. When rendering the scene without a light I have the specular highlights I want.

But as soon as I place a light the surface looks more dull (with reflections on it but no specular highlights even if I see them in hypershade material preview).

# 2 19-03-2007 , 02:50 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi. ok first off not all materials will give the option for specular, so assume you are using something like a blin or a thong.
select the material in the hypershade and click ctrl + a on your keyboard this will open the attribute editor for that material.
scroll down and click on specular shading and there you can increase the specular roll off to give the effect you are after you could also play with the eccentricity which will control the size of the highlight.

hope this helps if not post again with info as to what is happening and we may be able to help further.

regards J.S.

# 3 19-03-2007 , 03:02 PM
thats about what I did, and as I wrote in the hypershade preview the material has the highlight (changing when I change the parameters).

When rendered changing the settings has no effect at all. Maybe the texture image kind of overrides the specular shading?!?

# 4 19-03-2007 , 03:04 PM
see image

top: no light
bottom: with light

Attached Images
# 5 19-03-2007 , 03:07 PM
Lifetime Member
ok another thing to check is ..select your light and open the attribute editor ctrl +a
see if emit specular is checked on in the light attributes.

If this does not work could you be a bit more specific about your scene ie what lights you have ,what material ect.
or even better attatch your scene to the post so we can have a look at it.

# 6 19-03-2007 , 03:18 PM
thanks for help...but I am just stupid, I used an ambient light, not a point light...now it looks fine

# 7 19-03-2007 , 03:21 PM
Lifetime Member
aha..a newbie mistake ..don't be sorry we have all done things like this while we were learning, glad you got it sorted user added image