Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 12-12-2007 , 01:12 AM
Subscriber

old furnice room

this is a old furnace room I found that I decided to model. I have played with the lighting until I liked it,and have some more modeling to do before I texture.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-12-2007 , 02:53 AM
Subscriber
I like it. Can't wait to see those textures.

# 3 12-12-2007 , 06:04 AM
yeah - looks like a good start!user added image

# 4 12-12-2007 , 07:30 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Ha, this had the potential to be really creepy!

Nice work so far!

Looking forward to the textures. user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 5 13-12-2007 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber
I too am looking forward to seeing this textured! Yes, it could look REALLY ratty, so go to town with the textures!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 6 13-12-2007 , 11:16 AM
Subscriber
I am done modeling this is a update. I will start texturing now.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 13-12-2007 , 11:52 AM
it's looking good - though the left bottom corner is maybe looking a little bare composition wise. also - what is the cube like thing around the pipe?

# 8 13-12-2007 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
it's looking good - though the left bottom corner is maybe looking a little bare composition wise. also - what is the cube like thing around the pipe?

thanks arran. Yeah I know I left that left part bare because there will be broken up concrete there. The box is one of those aluminum heating things, I forget what there called.

# 9 14-12-2007 , 01:39 AM
Lifetime Member
Banksta, it's a start but I wouldn't say that the modeling phase is complete.
I have spent 20 years working in places like this as i'm a qualified heating and ventilation engineer and there are things missing from this room that just don't sell it as convincing.For example you have some sort of air handling unit or chilling unit on the floor but not a single pipe or cable attached to it.The round cylinder against the wall is either a clorifier or a boiler but again has only one pipe and no cables and there are no valves or gauges at all for control in this room.
These are just a few things that jump out at me straight away and I don't want to sound too critical so take this advise with a pinch of salt if you wish.

regards J.S.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 10 14-12-2007 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jsprogg
Banksta, it's a start but I wouldn't say that the modeling phase is complete.
I have spent 20 years working in places like this as i'm a qualified heating and ventilation engineer and there are things missing from this room that just don't sell it as convincing.For example you have some sort of air handling unit or chilling unit on the floor but not a single pipe or cable attached to it.The round cylinder against the wall is either a clorifier or a boiler but again has only one pipe and no cables and there are no valves or gauges at all for control in this room.
These are just a few things that jump out at me straight away and I don't want to sound too critical so take this advise with a pinch of salt if you wish.

regards J.S.

I see what your saying jsproog but I am modeling from a pic and thats the only pieces in view. If I knew more about it as you do I would add more. For now I will just go with what I have so I can start a new model. Thanks for the info though.

# 11 22-12-2007 , 11:24 AM
Will there be texture? before you move on?

Chris Howell
Respower, a Self-Service Render Farm
# 12 25-12-2007 , 02:09 PM
Subscriber
almost done texturing. Here is update.

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 26-12-2007 , 12:20 AM
hmmm.... i think your textures still need quite a bit of work. a lot of the textures, like the back wall and the crack on the floor, look too big and stretched. also, everything looks too clean and shiny - i would try adding some maps to your spec and also toning stuff down a bit. user added image

# 14 26-12-2007 , 02:51 AM
Subscriber
I agree with arran, Some of the textures need to be scaled down. The back wall and the post textures are a bit large.

# 15 26-12-2007 , 07:15 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by arran
hmmm.... i think your textures still need quite a bit of work. a lot of the textures, like the back wall and the crack on the floor, look too big and stretched. also, everything looks too clean and shiny - i would try adding some maps to your spec and also toning stuff down a bit. user added image

When you maps what do mean Arran?