Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-02-2009 , 02:42 AM

Weird, Bloated renders in mental ray

Hi all. Using Maya 8.5 on a Precision 690, OS: XP Pro, 2 Gigs RAM

OK, I am doing a render of a scene which is going fine, except one piece of geometry renders as though it were somehow ridiculously inflated or bloated. It's a subdiovision. I have tried rendering it as a straight polygon, but it then appears semi bloated but also it looks shredded and torn or fractured.

When rendering as a subdiv the script editor provides this message after it completes the render:

"Warning: (Mayatomr.Geometry) : pasted__pasted__polyToSubdShape22, subdivision surface contains creases on boundary edges which are unsupported and have been ignored // "

Does anyone know how to fix these "creased" boundary edges which seem to be related to the strange, extremely bloated rendered geometry?

Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks, T

# 2 28-02-2009 , 03:48 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Post an image of your render, so we can see;
Most people get bloated renders when using displacementmaps in combination with wrong settings

# 3 01-03-2009 , 11:13 PM
Try unlocking the normals, under Normals-Unlock

Keep it real.
# 4 07-03-2009 , 04:40 AM
Hi guys. Thanks very much for the help. I've been busy with other things and haven't had time to sort things out.

I think it is a displacement map problem.

This is a mesh I had made several months ago then left it to do do other things, then returned to it just last week. Now I recall I did make a map in ZBrush back when and then started having problems when I put it on the poly but forgot about that in the interim.

I will examine the situation more closely when my schedule opens up, but wanted to thank you both for the help.

Tristan