Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-06-2003 , 01:08 PM
Subscriber

GI render test

everybody is having so much fun with gi_joe so i looked for something to make my renders a bit nicer w/o much work. i found a nice plugin at highend3d - RealFakeGI - it does not need a big light setup as gi_joe does. and the results are very nice. what do you think?

c&c welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-06-2003 , 01:27 PM
looks good! I guess the problem With RealFakeGI and why its not as popular as GI_Joe is because of where Geomety meets. With GI_Joe, you can get nice Shadows where geomety meet, but with RealFakeGI, you don't get those nice shadows. for example, take alook at where the Cone meets the Ground plane. Hmm.... I am trying something out.. I will post another reply in a little bit. Thanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 3 04-06-2003 , 01:32 PM
Subscriber
the ground plane is not affected by realfakegi at all, it is just a lambert.

# 4 04-06-2003 , 01:35 PM
ok. thats cool... if you are experimenting with it still, would you mind intersecting the cone and the torus? I was just currious how they would look if they intersected, Just wondering. user added image Thanks
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 04-06-2003 , 03:00 PM
Subscriber
oh sure. was just stepped out. and i guess you are right. sharp borders dont look so well. but for showing off only one smooth object, i think it is useable user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 04-06-2003 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
and a more realistic object. the monster. on top of the plugin is only one pointlight for the shadow

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 05-06-2003 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for highlighting that BabyDuck- will make a change from GI_Joe and offer a few more 'mood' options. Shall try it out.

When it says;

'Source the RealFakeGILight.mel and RealFakeGIEditor.mel to use the Lightsets and to edit them'.

What does it mean by 'source'? I installed the plugin through the plugin manager but cannot get it to work- I tried typing both things in the script editor but no joy. Any help gratefully recieved 8)

Last edited by Witchy; 05-06-2003 at 08:55 AM.
# 8 05-06-2003 , 10:33 AM
Subscriber
you have to type "source XXX.mel" - i made two buttons. one shelf buttons does this:

source RealFakeGILight.mel;
RealFakeGILight;

the other:

source RealFakeGIEditor.mel;
RealFakeGIEditor;

the source command is just to define the command, and then i execute them.

hope that helps some

# 9 05-06-2003 , 04:22 PM
Subscriber
Aha thanks for that. Wish it had a slightly better readme! I am fairly new to the world of plugins and scripts (shame things are not more like Danny's which have good instructions) so thanks for the assistance. It needs a little idiots guide! Any tips on achieving various effects?