Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 18-09-2004 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
Never mind.

t3

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.

Last edited by t3logy; 19-09-2004 at 02:00 AM.
# 32 19-09-2004 , 01:10 AM
Nothing is more valuable then having industry professionals willing to answer all your questions and critiquing your work, so if you can afford it, do it!

But my opinion is that these 10 week crunch courses are most valuable to those who already have strong artistic talent who needs to learn to apply it. Good luck to those attending...I wish I was there...but I'm here so I have to learn on my own.

"Whatever tomorrow brings I'll be there...with open arms, and open eyes" - Incubus
# 33 19-09-2004 , 10:05 AM
Another important point that I feel I should raise is that I personally didn't sign up to the Maya Comprehensive course (which is, I admit, fabulously expensive) with a view to pursuing a career in the 3D industry afterwards. As a hobbyist I'm far more interested in the art of short film production and enjoy the flexibility that 3D gives me to do exactly what I want whilst working on my own and in my own time. So for me this is about learning the fundamental skills that I need to create these moving images.

Other people on the course come from different directions. One chap is head of his own advertising firm and wants to learn Maya simply so he knows what he can expect from his staff who use the tool. Another chap is an aeronautical engineer and sees Maya as useful visualisation tool within his own industry.

Some people do join the Escape course with dreams of Pixar and a guaranteed job afterwards. Some people are successful, some are not. As T3logy and MtMckinley have pointed out, success will ultimately be determined by the hard work and talent of the individual.

My thumbs have gone weird

Last edited by Marwood; 19-09-2004 at 10:15 AM.
# 34 19-09-2004 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
Let me first start by welcoming Marwood to SimplyMaya, glad you could join us user added image

I have to agree, having a qualification is all well and good but for someone like me who is looking for a way into the industry I am interested in intensive training so by the end of the course I can have a portfolio of work that will attract employers. I understand that this sort of approach won't work with all types of industry but one that is based (amongst other things) on creativity then this is ideal.

_LIVID

# 35 23-09-2004 , 07:23 AM
Subscriber
I'de just thought I would show you where im at now. I started making this camper ages ago but with a little help from the tutors here at Escape I finally managed to move it on. It's not finished yet as the driver and passanger seats have to be textured and it needs a stearing wheel.

I intend to have showroom with about 5 differnt campers all with slightly different designs and textures.

One last thing, this texture is for my girlfirnd which explains the excess of pink and fairys. user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 23-09-2004 , 07:24 AM
Subscriber
And from another angle .....

_LIVID

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 23-09-2004 , 01:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
Pretty cool, man. user added image Although I don't dig the color, but that's ok.

Does Escape focus mostly on high-res stuff (movies, tv, etc) or are there game courses as well? Or do they just go over info and you apply it like you want. Just curious.

# 38 23-09-2004 , 05:02 PM
cool van !!
i dig the color, lucy in the sky with diamonds

# 39 24-09-2004 , 09:50 AM
Subscriber
Cheers, I am planning of making a fleet of 5.

I have also done a few extra bits on them (adding the VW sign ect)

In the end there will be ...

1) The pink girly one
2) The Red and White classic design
3) Black 'Hot Rod' Style
4) A white flower-power surfer van
5) The Happy Hippy psycedelicious fractal design

They will all have different insides like fridges, beds, roof racks with case .... im not sure why cos the camera probably won't see them but I ... well im not sure why actually, I just will. user added image

Any coments would be greatly recieved as this is the 1st time I have posted any of my work.

_LIVID

Attached Thumbnails
# 40 24-09-2004 , 09:55 AM
Subscriber
To answer Mike, Escape from what I can see is doing a fair bit of both. The first tutor we had came from a games background so he focused of low poly-high effect models and tricks to get a good visual effect and using planes etc.

It really depends on what the students are aiming to do after the course, but at the moment it's still quite low poly. Still, it's only week 2 so it could all change in time.

One thing you might like, on the colleges Intranet (our internal network) they have your site as a usefull tutorials link. I was like 'hey I know him, I chat to him on this forum!'

Just incase you needed an ego boost. user added image

_LIVID

# 41 24-09-2004 , 01:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh heh, cool user added image

Do they offer text books? Maybe I can show them mine and see what they think... user added image

# 42 24-09-2004 , 01:49 PM
Subscriber
The tutors all have books that they recomend but the studio it's self hasn't tried to sell us any. I might be worth a try contacting them to see if they are intested, I mean if they have you as a usefull like they might be interested to have the books as well.

You never know ...

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog