Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 21-03-2006 , 07:59 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
JacksonEmpire

I think you are making progress but not in the right way (in my opinion) I think you are trying to achieve to much detail to soon.

Try and approach it from a more of an artists view almost layer the model if you will, like painting. I still feel you need to block the model first in its entirety get the forms right with minimal geometry and THEN put in the details where needed. It will be alot better and you'll get a better understanding as well of the facial anatomy, ie; distance between eyes, nose etc.

Also post a wire frame, it may help to be able to see your geometry and advise you in that area too.

Cheers For now

Jay

# 17 21-03-2006 , 11:38 PM
Subscriber
i agree with what has been said, and ill try to give some advice based on experience, since i just finished (or gave up) on modelling a face.

the first time i put in a lot of faces before it was done, it was pretty high poly and when i noticed that my eyes were not right and my nose was wrong and everything was wrong i had to start over with a lot simpler model.

part of it isn't just that, its because there is more to a head than just the face, the face requires the most detail, but the head/ears/side of the head and cheeks are the real hard part because they have no reference, and have no point of reference, where as the face you can line everything up, but with the cheeks its all just flat skin so there is nothing to match up with a ref image.

with that said, if you make the rest of the head and notice that the face needs adjustment to match a normal persons head it would be a lot of work.

BUT

that model is looking really good and really clean and really close, so who cares, if it works for you do it!

First year 3D Grad
# 18 03-04-2006 , 09:14 AM

update

i have been doing a bit of freelance work lately so finding it tricky to work on this! but heres a update, gonna tweek a bit more of his face, and then start on the ear next, coments and crits are as always very welcome!

user added image

user added image

user added image

thanks!

# 19 03-04-2006 , 02:57 PM

his ears

ok so i have made his ears! coments welcome!

user added image

# 20 03-04-2006 , 03:53 PM
lookin really good!!,
keep up the good work.

could you post a wireframe?

At least I'M a nerd!!!
# 21 05-04-2006 , 03:56 PM
Subscriber
Its a decent model and i like how it's coming together, but it just doesnt look like good old Sean. For starters it looks like theirs too much distance between his nose and mouth, and as for the lips, I think the shape is off by a little bit. The lines coming out of his eyes are also off and need to be stretched more, and I think his forehead is a little too pronounced. Good work thus far. Keep it up.

Death is certain, Life is not.
# 22 06-04-2006 , 11:07 AM
Hey so here is the model so far, if anyone has more ideas of how i can make him look more like sean connery let me know!

user added image

user added image

user added image

thanks!

# 23 06-04-2006 , 11:14 AM

wire

user added image

# 24 10-04-2006 , 11:03 AM

more wrinkles

Hey so i have tried to work on the areas that people have suggested, i have also put in some more defintion in his wrinkles! let me know what u think!

Cheers guys!

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 25 10-04-2006 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber
Hey Jackson,
It is a good model ind is coming together great.
In my opinion his jaw should be a little bit rounder. in your prtevious pics iot is a bit too square.

Here is a pic to explain what i am talking about.

Keep up the good work user added image

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 26 10-04-2006 , 11:19 AM
Subscriber
The pic

Attached Thumbnails

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 27 10-04-2006 , 04:56 PM
Subscriber
Looks more like Patrick Stewart from Star Trek to meuser added image

# 28 10-04-2006 , 10:26 PM
I think it is getting there - Once you have made all of the improvements that some guy has pointed out, it will look a lot better. I would also push the top lip forward (maybe both a little actually) and focus on getting the angle of the top lip right. The brow area needs a bit of work too. It also looks like it needs to be pushed forward - look at the space between the eyes and the top of the nose in your model and your reference. Even with the side view being squashed as you mentioned earlier, it still doesn't look right. And fixing that area should help get the angle of the forehead right. How do you plan to do the hair, moustache and eyebrows? I think once these are added it will definitely help a lot.

To be honest though, while you can tell that the reference pictures are Sean Connery, there are still subtle mistakes that that artist has made that aren't doing you any favors - You look set on using these images, so I am sorry to mention this again.

Good work mate. Shtick atsh itsh.

# 29 11-04-2006 , 01:36 PM
hey guys thanks for all your comments

SomeGuy - thanks for the pic to explain ur ideas! i have worked on the areas u have suggested, looks a little better now!

R-Tillery - i have been posting this on www.3dtotal.com forums as well, and people there said it looked like Patrick Stewart and also Lok the bald guy from 'Lost' tv show!

Arran - hey mate im just about to start tweeking the areas that u have noticed, will hopefulyl have an update soonish. Not entirly sure how im gonna do the hair, i will prob just texture it on to start with, but if it looks a bit poo then i shall try my hand at the Maya hair system.

Does anyone know any good ways of making good looking hair?

Just got 2gig of Ram through the post! wooo!

Keep posting ur comments!

# 30 11-04-2006 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
Sorry have to put this in ..

dont get discourage at all ...you are doing a good job

about the hair ..thank god it was not him in his early years ..lots of hair ...thank god not much now to mess with unless you throw a rug on there like he does in some movies lmao user added image