Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-10-2006 , 09:47 PM
Acid44

polly mclaren f1-first car

this is my first car after learning basic maya its going to be a mclaren f1 im happy with the front so far but i imagin the amount of triangles will be a problem

updates will probably be slow-just started gr 10 so lots of catching up to do...

c&c welcome

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Acid44; 23-10-2006 at 09:54 PM.
# 2 23-10-2006 , 10:12 PM
Acid44
problem

these two faces arent conected after some remodeling and its posing a major problem when converting to sub'd ive tried merging the verts but it doesnt work

any suggestion

# 3 23-10-2006 , 10:13 PM
Acid44
problem

these two faces arent conected after some remodeling and its posing a major problem when converting to sub'd:headbang: ive tried merging the verts but it doesnt work:headbang:

any suggestion

forgot pic here...

Attached Images
# 4 23-10-2006 , 10:18 PM
i apologise if yo've tried this but as i read it you unsuccesfully tried to merge the verts to join the two parts of the car.

i'm guessing it's because you may not have combined the two parts of the car (found in polygon menu). you should then be able to merge the verts with no probs.

looking goood chap, mclarens one of my favs!

a lot of people seem to prefer grouping the different parts although not having tried it myself i couldn't really say the best way to model a car.

problems with sub-d conversion usually show up in the script editor at the bottom right. clicking on the hamburger type icon will give you a very lovely clue and remedy into why the conversion isn't happening.

hope this helps chap.

# 5 23-10-2006 , 10:22 PM
hmm, should have waited for the pic!

try cleanup in the polygon menu as it looks like you have a few too many faces in there. if you have highlighted just the two faces then that triangle area sort points to it being that maybe?

switch to wireframe and choose faces and you might be able to delete the extra face without the cleanup and merge the verts.

i'm sort of new to all this too and encountered similar problems recently so i hope this helps

# 6 24-10-2006 , 02:38 AM
Acid44
i tried cleanup and thats what selected those faces so im kind of at a loss there but im gonna try some other stuff and probably start on the side tonight...

thanks though mclarens my favourite too for 7 years now

# 7 24-10-2006 , 02:58 AM
Acid44
OK i fixed those faces but now i have a new problem these edges as you can see are not conected

im pretty new to maya so its probably an easy fix...

thanx in advance

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 24-10-2006 , 03:03 AM
Acid44
never mind im starting over its all mesed up

update in 1 hour ish...

# 9 24-10-2006 , 03:46 AM
Acid44
ok faster than i thought i started over like i said and so far so good heres my first shot of the front of the car...

time for the side...

c&c welcome so dont be afraid

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 24-10-2006 , 04:15 AM
Subscriber
the wire looks very messy, but it just takes practise to get better.

the first thing i would do would be to clean up and get rid of all your triangles, stay with 4 sided polygons.

if you need help on making any of them into 4 sided polygons just post a picture and well help you out

First year 3D Grad
# 11 24-10-2006 , 04:43 AM
Acid44

Originally posted by Turbo Dan
the wire looks very messy, but it just takes practise to get better.

the first thing i would do would be to clean up and get rid of all your triangles, stay with 4 sided polygons.

if you need help on making any of them into 4 sided polygons just post a picture and well help you out

good point ill get on that before i start the side...

# 12 24-10-2006 , 05:07 AM
Subscriber
yes what turbo dan said is correct. Get rid of your triangles and make them 4 sided n-gons and also, try to make your mesh look even. the more even it looks the better ur results. if u have 2 close edges and then the next edge is far, u will get a irregular bump because its almost af if its trying to make up those edtra edges. The more even spread (Make it look kinda like a grid) it is, the better ur results

Keep up the work, its good to see more car modelers around. This looks like an interesting car so i would like to see how u come along. practice makes perfect so dont give up. good luck mate

# 13 24-10-2006 , 06:20 AM
Acid44
:headbang:forgot the pic so never mind this one...:headbang:

# 14 24-10-2006 , 06:20 AM
Acid44
ok so ive been doing some ...uh...winter cleaning and heres the result so far ill work more in the morning before school and thanks for the advice keep it cominguser added image :bow:

heres the forgotten image:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 24-10-2006 , 06:47 AM
Simply Maya OG
A good way to test out how its gonna look finished, do a good smooth on it. Itll give you an idea on where you need more lines/creases, or where you need less lines/creases.

- Hybrid