Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-03-2007 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber

how to smash a mended heart

hi all, hope the computers are running well.

I have to do a a 60 sec animation for uni (yes a real animation for my stupid uni, film course) and I want to blow up a heart or smash it or give that look.., you all know what I mean

is there a mel script or something I can use??

if not what would be the best way to smash something by hand.

I have a smash generator somewhere but its for 4.5 or something.

heres hoping

ccheers all.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 23-03-2007 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
Hey there mirek,

have you looked into the shatter effect under in the dynamics menu?

Smashing something by hand would be pretty time consuming but not impossible, I would probably go down the dynamics route though.

There's a piece of software called blastcode which is designed to create smash effects. There's a trial version with limitations but even so I think that it may well suffice if you're just smashing one object.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 3 23-03-2007 , 04:15 PM
Subscriber
hi Matt, hows uni treating you. Been wondering about you lately, hoping you might answer this and here you are. Good stuff.

anway, didnt know about the shatter effect. I have blast code but I think its for an earier version.., better have another look.

take care mate.., good to hear from you.

# 4 24-03-2007 , 02:17 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for asking Mirek,

university's going well, my semester 2 animation is progressing nicely, plenty still to do though!! I also need to learn After Effects pretty quickly for one of my modules, a little anxious about that but rather looking forward to it too.

Hope all is good in Oz,

Mat.

# 5 24-03-2007 , 11:32 AM
Subscriber
hi, glad to hear all is well at uni.., my film course sux and is a joke.., doing post sound (honours) now (no longer under grad). I know more about protools than the teacher, she is a camera person (she is nice, she has just had a baby and she is on maternity leave?? so you mught ask.., where does that leave me??) ).., they may as well have me as lecturer?? figure that out? Luckily I am doing multi-media and doing photoshop which is bliss (so you can see how boring film has been and near useless) I get more fom the SM forum, the Protools Digi forum and a couple of tech forums than I do from uni. I learnt more about post sound in three days on the digi form (professional rather than school stuff) than uni in three years and that is no exaggeration mate.

the shatter thing works well.., do I have to animate the shards breaking off or am I missing something??

after effects?? I thought you would alraedy have a pretty good grip on it?? Its not too bad, piece of cake for you. a quick trick to import is right click in the bin and the menu options are in context format, easy to get too. rendering..?? open up loseless settings or best settings and all your render options are there, just play around with the differant buttons and you'll get there. Any thing you might need to know you can e-mail me and I'll see if I can work it out. Though i will be suprised if I know more than you.., though I have used it a lot for post sound, film and animation.., compositing of course.

take care mate

# 6 24-03-2007 , 06:42 PM
Subscriber
Bummer about your course,

I made THIS following the tutorial in the Maya help menu under Dynamics > Effects > Connect Shards To Fields. It took less than ten minutes, spend a little time on it and you could get some brilliant effects.

Thanks for the After Effects tips, hopefully I'll get the hang of it quickly!!

Good luck with shattering stuff,

Mat.