Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-02-2009 , 10:42 AM
The Nurb Herd

all primitives...

I did this after work this morning. Its for the creative challenge over at 3dworld mag forum. its all primitives you were not allowed to make any face/vert/edge editing. so this is all cubes and cylinders.

...from having a fag on my balcony to posting was about 1 hour 30 mins.

user added image

i gave up texturing after one texture, too tired.

# 2 28-02-2009 , 04:12 PM
Super Moderator
No vert tweaks? :x I think this came out pretty cool. I think the wall texture may be a bit washed though.

- Genny
# 3 28-02-2009 , 05:38 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think you're right. i might see what more i can do, now that i'm awake.

# 4 28-02-2009 , 10:45 PM
you could have the sliding door open so you can see inside. Then make a living room scene. Some items you could make without manipulating verts is:
Couch
Loveseat
coffee table
end tables
book shelf with books
lamps
remote control on the coffee table
magazines & books
drinking glass and coaster
tv
tv antenna
pictures on the walls

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 28-02-2009 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber
with primitives only.. this is the way real men do things...!

nah but seriously, that is one crazy balcony. its like its saying "HEY! i thought i'd just hang out around here in the middle of a wall... all alone... because no one cares..."

Perfecto: that would involve him making the wall out of lots of different pieces of geometry since he can't cut things out of the wall and then playing with the uvs until the textures match

+11 point to your awesomeness if you do that!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 28-02-2009 at 10:49 PM.
# 6 01-03-2009 , 12:30 AM
The Nurb Herd
yeah thats cool, but the problem with that is that i have a life. lol user added image

i would never make a model and not texture it. It would be like rolling a cigarette and not smoking it (or pouring a drink if you don't smoke.) I was not about to waste more of my time texturing a room made of primitives. it was done for fun, i'm not going to show it to employers so in summery "whatever, can't be bothered."

Last edited by honestdom; 01-03-2009 at 12:43 AM.
# 7 01-03-2009 , 12:32 AM
The Nurb Herd
oh and btw, you can't use extrude because that is face editing.

# 8 01-03-2009 , 01:25 AM
Yeah, the texturing would definitely be time consuming. And the objects like the tv and picture frames weren't extruded. I actually used the poly pipe primitive and set the subdivision axis to 4.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 9 01-03-2009 , 04:35 AM
The Nurb Herd
very clever user added image