Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 12-08-2011 , 04:50 PM

Mental Ray sss overall colour problem

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on a problem I keep encountering in Maya, I am setting up the sss shading network for skin, and I am pluging in multiple layered textures for diffuse colour, epidermal, etc. So everything in the sub surface scattering menu is plugged in and works fine, however when I am ready to plug in my specular layerd texture into overall colour in specularity, for some reason Maya freezes. What is more odd, is that I just plugged in some random texture and it did not freeze. Even more strange, I duplicated a layered texture that was already plugged into the sss shader and plugged it into the overall colour option, and it worked fine, now when I changed the textures to the one I want, the face spec worked, but the body and limbs do not, this is the same for the primary specular colour.

Thanks

Last edited by Buster Sword; 12-08-2011 at 05:04 PM.
# 2 12-08-2011 , 08:25 PM
Technical Director
Are you using the same file format for the textures? Maya, and even more, Mental Ray, is picky about file formats. If you can, either save as a tga, or iff. Stay away from iff.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 13-08-2011 , 06:18 AM

Are you using the same file format for the textures? Maya, and even more, Mental Ray, is picky about file formats. If you can, either save as a tga, or iff. Stay away from iff.

Thank you for the quick response, I have saved all my textures as Jpegs, which were all running fine until I ran into the overall colour issue.

# 4 13-08-2011 , 11:13 AM
Targa's just make it crash, but I have run into another problem, I have the same layered texture network, and this time I'm loading in bump files, but when I load the texture I get this message '// Warning: Failed to open texture file C:/.../../.. // Error: Image conversion (to IFF) failed //'