Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 07-04-2006 , 04:28 AM
Subscriber

First Head Modelling Attempt - All CC Welcome

Hi Guys,

This is my first attempt at a human head. Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Paul

Attached Images
# 2 07-04-2006 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber
Hello Paul,

You've made a great start, he seems slightly more neanderthal than human though, the mouth looks to be a little low and the chin could perhaps do with a little more shape. Can we see a profile view?

Keep it up,

Mat.

# 3 07-04-2006 , 07:51 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback Mat

Here it is

Attached Images
# 4 07-04-2006 , 08:50 AM
Subscriber
Looking good so far Paul... The loops look like they're off to a good start, however, I'd suggest making one that goes from the chin around the face and across the forehead, and another one to define the jaw that ends up where the ear will be.

I'd also suggest pulling the forehead a bit forward making it a bit more vertival, unless your refs are like what you have now ofcourse user added image

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 5 07-04-2006 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the feedback blomkaal,

I'm going to stop adding to it now until I fix up those loops next. Its a lot more tweaking than I thought it was going to be :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 07-04-2006 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber
I know what you mean, tweak city! I'm in the process of making my first poly head too and have spent hours moving vertices around to no avail.

If you take the loops under the chin you should be able to shape it a little better. This worked nicely for me.

Attached Images
# 7 14-04-2006 , 03:31 AM
Subscriber
Finally got some time to do a little more on the general mesh. All comments welcome guys.

Cheers
Paul.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 14-04-2006 , 08:32 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Paul

Looking very good so far. Keep the mesh tidy and balance the polys where you can, it will help later on. Obviously areas like the lips, the edge flow will differ somewhat.

That N-sided poly on the lower jaw - on the GI dvd it will show you how to remove that:bandit: I rememeber when I did it almost cursing while recording LOL. I should post some outtakes LOL.

Keep an eye on the lips too, they are sticking out a fair bit there, that area is almost a gentle curve normally, but I suppose depending on the references you're using things will differ a bit.

Keep up the good work

Jay

# 9 14-04-2006 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Jay,

I appreciate the feedback. I'm finding this type of modelling very difficult, but then again I might be aiming a little too high for my first model. The lips and nose are a bit of a problem at the moment so I can't wait till I get to the ear :headbang:

My Reference images are not very good but it was the best I could get. Will see how it goes. Also using Catia for a full week then coming back to Maya hasn't helped, I keep having problems rotating etc. Using 2 3D packages is very confusing.

The GI Tut is really good man, its been very helpful.

Cheers
Paul

# 10 14-04-2006 , 08:48 PM
Doing good so far user added image keep going

PIXELDISFUNCTION.COM

Pelican spaceship