Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-08-2003 , 11:20 PM

Duplicating instanced nodes

I am trying to duplicate 1/2 of my model to create the full model. I have not had problems doing this before until now. When I select everything and freeze transformations, it doesn't let me do this because it says:

"Error: Freeze Transform was not applied because you have instanced nodes in the selected path."

I took a look and it seems like some of my geometry, which I repeat a lot, I accidentally made an instance duplicate as opposed to just a copy. I don't know how to "uninstance" these copies. I can't make the duplication without freezing the transformations. Any suggestions?

# 2 21-08-2003 , 11:29 PM
Subscriber
Why don't you just delete the instanced copies, then take the real copy and dupliucate it (real copy this time) and move it into place where the instanced copy was?

# 3 21-08-2003 , 11:51 PM
Thanks for the fast response Darkware, I would do that if it was only a couple of objects, but I have over 50 objects that I duplicated as instances and it would take a very long time to redo all of the work I did in placing them. It is mostly the buttons I have on my armor for detail. As you can see in the image, this is after I duplicated, the cloud of debris around my model are the misplaced objects.

Is there a way around this? I thought that by deleting the history that it would break the connection of the instanced objects from the original one, (making them their own independent objects) but that doesn't seem to happen. I find this very strange. Does any one know what to do here? Did I doom myself by forgetting to make sure I was not creating an instance? Thanks.

Attached Images
# 4 21-08-2003 , 11:55 PM
great model man, looking real classy! great work!

# 5 22-08-2003 , 12:01 AM
Subscriber
I remembe rkbrown having a problem like this, only it was with instanced joints of a skeleton. I think he had to redo it. As far as I know, there isn't anything you can do. Anyone else have any ideas?

# 6 22-08-2003 , 12:19 AM
Thanks Zyk0tiK for the compliment.

I hope I don't have to redo it. Hopefully someone will know what to do. But if I do have to redo it, that just gives me a chance to make it better.

# 7 26-05-2004 , 07:04 AM
digging up an old post here. I have a network or curves that I have lofted. I forgot to shut of instance copies as I was duplicating them which was actually helpful at first but now I want to make tweeks to individual CVs with effecting the other curves. Anyone figure out how to convert instanced copies into "real" copies yet?

I WILL get this stuff!
# 8 26-05-2004 , 08:40 AM
jAQUAN: deleting the history on your curves should sort your problem out. You can tell if they are independent afterwards by selecting the first curve and if the others dont go purple then they are independant.

As for the original question, why are you trying to freeze the transforms in the first place? just want to get a better idea of what's going on. I think your best bet might be to delete all of the side you duplicated then cleanup any stray nodes and then duplicate again without instancing.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB