Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 23-03-2006 , 12:06 AM
Subscriber

blast zone

anyone with this months (depending on what country your in) 3D World will see the Maya tut for blowing up a city with an atomic explosion. well and good but there is a lot of geometry in the city and very few textures for the city, how does this work, I'll set up some jpegs now.

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 23-03-2006 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
city

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 23-03-2006 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber
textures

Attached Thumbnails

# 4 23-03-2006 , 01:51 PM
Not sure what you are asking.....user added image

If you wondering how comes there are so many buildings and so few textures, I imagine they assigned each texture to more than one building - select the objects, backclick in hypershade on the material (with your texture attached to it) and pick 'assign to selection'.

sorry if this isn't what you are asking...

# 5 23-03-2006 , 06:03 PM
Think you just apply the textures to the objects in a random fashon to get a broken city look

# 6 24-03-2006 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
yea, you both answred questions i have been wondering about, it just seemed werid somehow to randomly do anythng in maya.

thanks guys, this is truely great to have ths help, it's 'a long and winding maya road that leads to my door.'

# 7 24-03-2006 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber
i tried this tut
the txts for me didnt load and i had to fiddle with them to get them to work
my blast wasnt to great even wiv same settings it dispersed too much
u should post up ur result here

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973
# 8 24-03-2006 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
interesting, the sky wouldn't load onto the image plane 2 for me (image plane 1..?? haven't crossed that path, haven't seen it) so I loaded in a jpeg of the sky onto it.
I put the textures into 'source images' also because that's where I usually get that stuff from, but again I'll cross that path. As I said, at the moment i'm back to my 'foundation book' pushing a nurbs sphere into a seal..??

but the blast zone one will have to happen soon, at least there must be something to learn about dynamic in there somewhere.

I've noticed a few of these (nearly all) mag tuts don't load well, they must be using custom systems??? I started to think it was a trick to mak us think:blush: user added image

# 9 24-03-2006 , 11:04 PM
Subscriber
is that magazine worth getting ? i mean i knwo some magazines I got didnt show much at all. just wondering sorry it is off topic

# 10 25-03-2006 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber
id have to say it depends on your interest and experience; to some of he gurus here it is probably not much, but there is good business and product news they would be interested in. For me it is worth getting but I'm really broke and no kidding I can eat for a week for the price of one mag (it is international here) and so I look carefully and if something I need to know is on it I sort of buy myself a present to cheer me up, that's probably why I get so disappointed if it is not working properly, which seems often enough for me to stop buying it bt when I saw a bomb and an underwater scene on the same issue I just HAD TO GET IT so they are wising up more and more to market trends.

the short answer, definitely yes if you want the latest 'how did they do that in Kong' sort of news and product reviews and , yes, if you have enough money to just blow for the sake of learning some.