Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-03-2009 , 10:38 PM

Virtual Cityscape Challenge: Metropolis

Not sure if I can pull it off in the remaining time left, but I'm going to try and create an entire city...and with a few suspension bridges.

Here's a beginning screenshot just to get the thread started.

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 01-03-2009 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
Well I got ever thing in my scene done in 8 days so I sure you can get alot done - you do work quite quick.

Good Luck

# 3 03-03-2009 , 03:56 AM
The texturing is what I'm worried about. I'll post an update tomorrow. Didn't get to do much tonight as I was helping a familily member with some computer issues.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 04-03-2009 , 12:14 AM
Well, my scene has crashed on me. I sent a report to AutoDesk so hopefully they'll figure it out quickly. I opened my scene, but as soon as I click inside the workspace, I get a fatal error and Maya shuts down. Even my first save of the project won't open (it opened fine last night).

If I switch to wireframe before clicking in my scene then it doesn't' crash. But as soon as I switch back to shaded it crashes when I click inside the workspace. Not sure what's going on, everything worked fine last night. Anyway, here's a pic of where I left off last night.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 04-03-2009 , 12:52 AM
Hey Perfecto, i've been having the same thing, been crashing a bit and just now i was trying to texture a wall and the screen went mad, like a mirror looking into a mirror type of thing, hope it gets sorted out for you, i'll struggle on and see how much i can get done i guess! Good luck!

# 6 04-03-2009 , 01:44 AM
The Maya Mountain
maybe try importing your file into a fresh scene?

# 7 04-03-2009 , 01:32 PM
Thanks mtmckinley,

I tried it out but it doesn't help. I can open the scene and it will stay open. I can open the attribute editor, the channel box, etc. But as soon as I click inside the workspace, it crashes. I'll do some more troubleshooting when I get off work tonight.

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 05-03-2009 , 05:00 PM
Well, my computer seems to be the problem. For some reason it can't handle much graphics...only small projects. It's like my processing power has been cut in half or less. My graphics card seems to be fine and so does everything else...it's really weird. Maybe my computer is on it's last leg. Whatever it is, it's effecting everything, not just Maya.

I have two 2.8 GHz pentium D processors and 3GB RAM. I also have an NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX video card. So it's not like I don't have a decent computer.

Anyway, I'm still working on it.

Exceed Expectations!
# 9 05-03-2009 , 08:28 PM
Subscriber
maybe it's something to do with your motherboard?

that scene was looking promising too....

i've an idea... model a whole bunch of little scenes and then composite them all together?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 10 05-03-2009 , 09:47 PM
Not a bad idea Chirone. I actually thought about that too but I've never done any compositing before...I wouldn't even know where to start. Not sure I'd be able to pull that off in time because there would be a learning curve. Nonetheless, it was an excellent suggestion.

Exceed Expectations!
# 11 06-03-2009 , 12:24 AM
Subscriber
well... assuming you're doing a still shots... perhaps you should decide how the camera is going to point and where the light is going to be in those shots

then render off a picture for each building you think would be in the scene then go to your paint program and slap them together

if buildings have shadows cast on them from other buildings then you could just paint them in or import the building into the scene and render off.

well... sounds like you probably already considered that though, so whatever your solution i hope you get something decent user added image

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 12 07-03-2009 , 03:19 AM
I figured out what my computer problem was and with some help for Simply Maya member GecT, it's running better than ever user added image I may not finish by the deadline, but I'm still going to model my city.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions about my computer issue.

Exceed Expectations!
# 13 07-03-2009 , 03:47 AM
Subscriber
what was the problem/solution?

my bad, i just saw the thread now

Last edited by Chirone; 07-03-2009 at 06:36 AM.
# 14 08-03-2009 , 12:53 AM
Ok, my computer is much better but I'm still getting aggravated with it. Therefore, I'm withdrawing from this competition and doing something with less polygons.

Exceed Expectations!