Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-06-2003 , 01:02 PM
Subscriber

Checkerboard Fur

Hello all.

I have what is probably a simple task in Maya and cannot figure it out. I have a checkerboard plane and have attached fur to it. I want to get the fur to be black in the black squares of the checkerboard and white in the white squares. I have been reading the doc on fur and it says to add noise to the base / tip colors, but this only produces a leopard skin effect (attached) which isn't good enough.

Is the only to get this effect to work by making a seperate map and if so how do I do that and get it into the fur description / or feedback? I'd rather not have to use an outside program and stick with Maya's native capabilities if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by sjurick; 14-06-2003 at 01:27 AM.
# 2 14-06-2003 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber

Re: Checkerboard Fur

Originally posted by sjurick
Hello all.

I have what is probably a simple task in Maya and cannot figure it out. I have a checkerboard plane and have attached fur to it. I want to get the fur to be black in the black squares of the checkerboard and white in the white squares. I have been reading the doc on fur and it says to add noise to the base / tip colors, but this only produces a leopard skin effect (attached) which isn't good enough.

Is the only to get this effect to work by making a seperate map and if so how do I do that and get it into the fur description / or feedback? I'd rather not have to use an outside program and stick with Maya's native capabilities if at all possible.

Any suggestions?

yes - i have a solution for you.

you create 2 furs. one in white and one in black. maya wants to complain when you attach more than one fur description to an object. so you just make a copy of your plane, and switch the second off not to be rendered. the white fur with furdescription1 gets applied to plane1 and the black fur with furdescription2 gets applied to plane2. now you turn the checker texture of the plane into a file (in hypershade edit->convert to file texture). 256x256 is fine. you copy the image and invert it. i call them file1.tga and file2.tga. now you select plane1 and go to fur->paint fur attributes tool. you select furdescription1 and baldness. and in tool options you go to map - select file1.tga and say reload, reassign attribute map and as import value luminance. redo the same, but with plane2 selected, and select in paint fur attribute tool furdescription2 and baldness. go to map import file2.tga, reload and reassign attribute maps.

and you should end up with this (note that the fur has the same attributes - only the base color and the tip color is differant.) - of course you could make the white fur shorter than the black one. and my quick test was with light brown and dark brown fur on a nurbsplane.

hope that solves your problem user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 14-06-2003 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
sjurick, can you in the future stop posting the same post in more than one section?

and can some mod please move this one to textures mapping fur and paint and merge with the other thread?

# 4 15-06-2003 , 12:28 AM
instead of rendering one, then the other, duplicate the plane, cut all of you black out of one, and your white out of the other, and there you go!

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 5 15-06-2003 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Ultragames
instead of rendering one, then the other, duplicate the plane, cut all of you black out of one, and your white out of the other, and there you go!

what do you mean rendering one then the other? i just say to disable the one planes renderflags, so the planes dont get confused - not sure if some shaders might freak out. that wont disable the fur from rendering nor does it create another render pass. darkware suggested something similiar to what you want to do in https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...&threadid=6322 - that is the thread this should be merged into.

edit: oh and explain me please how to easily cut out the white or black in a nurbs plane with a e.g. 50x50 checker

Last edited by BabyDuck; 15-06-2003 at 09:12 AM.
# 6 15-06-2003 , 11:53 AM
Subscriber
Thanks everyone for their input. Very helpful (and insightful) It's always great to see the many different solutions that are brought to the table. That's what I love most about CG, there's always 10 ways to do something!

Anyways, thanks again and sorry BabyDuck for posting twice, but I did try to delete my original but the site wouldn't let me. I was able to delete my image attachment but that was it. Plus I didn't see this forum until it was too late. Please forgive user added image

Peace