Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-09-2004 , 12:48 PM

Paintfull transition 2 Maya!!!

Hi!

I was working in Max for about 2 years, now I'm learning maya for 2 weeks and it's going very well, except this hypergraf editor.This node system is very new to me even though I have some experience with nods in discreet's combustion,plus all this new maps that dont exist in MAX...
Max's material editor is based on slots and hypergraf is not even close to it, not by it' possibility, but ist's simplicity!

So if anybody knows where or how can I best learn hypergraf?!
Also I have poor experience wit mental ray because Max had just intergrated it in this new version v6.
And the last question:Trully how often are you using mental ray to render your's scenes?

# 2 13-09-2004 , 02:19 PM
Subscriber
Here might be a good start for you :
The Hypershade : Overview and Description

I would have thought using node based composition like in most dv software would have helped you immensely, i used digital fusion and shake before using Maya and found the transition quite easy on that front. user added image

i tend not to use mentalray unless i want a real good look at what its gonna turn out like, bcoz of the slow rendering time.

but hey i dont know an awful lot coz i only started using the app like 3 months ago user added image lol

Ohh you might also find this useful (if you havnt already)

3D Studio transition to Maya PDF

"Everybody loves a joker, But no one likes a fool"

Last edited by ciaran711; 13-09-2004 at 02:24 PM.
# 3 15-09-2004 , 10:48 AM
the maya node system is basically a collection of different items (nodes) that you can link together, say for example if you wanted a bump map on a texture then you would first of all create the relevent material (i.e. a blinn or lambert etc) and then link the bump value to a texture. The power of maya's hypergraph lies in the fact that you can link almost any attribute to any texture/utility/shader etc. once you get into it you'll be fine.

about mental ray, i don't use it at all, i've found a way of getting nearly the same quality without the long render times. (BUT IT'S A SECRET) lol

# 4 15-09-2004 , 12:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
Are you asking about the Hypergraph or the Hypershade? user added image

I never use Mental Ray, but that's mostly because I work in games.

# 5 16-09-2004 , 01:15 PM
Sorry folks,not hypergraf but hypershade!