Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 436 29-02-2012 , 04:56 AM
Lifetime Member
I likes user added image

- Jake
# 437 01-03-2012 , 02:45 AM
Here is a drawing i planned on making into full armor similar to Iron Man. I did end up modeling this in 3d too but I've been stumped on the chest part. Got the arms, hands legs feet sketched out too but not uploaded.

Originally in pen on a memo pad at my desk while i was waiting for my computer to be repaired by our infinitely incompetent IT department... had to transfer them to scan though.

Attached Thumbnails

# 438 01-03-2012 , 03:32 AM
Lifetime Member
cool td.....what stumped you in what way? design wise?

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 439 02-03-2012 , 03:47 AM
Well i had the design in my head as being a very sleek, thin, recon style suit and everything i was designing was too big bulky for this design. I kept the designs for other uses but i have trouble with small and stealthy. Making is sleek and small usually lost most of the details i wanted as well. Although its been some months since i sketched something out i should try again.

# 440 23-03-2012 , 09:03 PM
Noober than noob
I've been busy lately, but I drew the outline of those fish aliens I had before. I tried on paper but after 12 times of failing to make the snout properly, I ended up resorting to Corel + Mouse again -.-

So, how can I make the ones on this pic:
user added image
to look more like the one in the attachment? It's hard to get lighting effects while keeping a dark purble+red+blue color on it.

Attached Thumbnails
# 441 23-03-2012 , 09:07 PM
EduSciVis-er
If you check out photos of dark colored fish, you will notice that they still have specular highlights that are almost white. And so for practice, you should have a full range of tone, from almost black behind and under the fins (occluded areas) to almost white, in bits on the upper surface, even on the tail things.

# 442 23-03-2012 , 09:23 PM
Noober than noob

If you check out photos of dark colored fish, you will notice that they still have specular highlights that are almost white. And so for practice, you should have a full range of tone, from almost black behind and under the fins (occluded areas) to almost white, in bits on the upper surface, even on the tail things.

This is the color theme I want to achieve. (+ the burning red standing out but cannot find the initial betta pic I saw with red too)
user added image
I'll try but I don't know how it will end up, as the character doesn't have a glossy skin but rather a matte one. Kind of like a lizard / salamander.

# 443 23-03-2012 , 09:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Well that's not really a good reference photo... there's hardly any light on the fish. I honestly can't see any color. This may be too glossy, but I did this in just a couple minutes. You still get the dark color feeling, but there's light and shadow on it too. Even matte surfaces can have some kind of specular, it's just wider and more diffuse.

Attached Thumbnails
# 444 23-03-2012 , 09:37 PM
Noober than noob

Well that's not really a good reference photo... there's hardly any light on the fish. I honestly can't see any color. This may be too glossy, but I did this in just a couple minutes. You still get the dark color feeling, but there's light and shadow on it too. Even matte surfaces can have some kind of specular, it's just wider and more diffuse.

Well yeah that diffuse specular is what I'm after. Like light fading onto the surface because the surface is so dark that it will absorb most of the light.
Kind of like velvet.
user added image
^ This is the material I want to make its skin look like.

# 445 26-03-2012 , 12:11 PM
Trying out a new clutch pencil and the doodle kind of got carried away, but I now have a plan to make this into a full piece, so when I get further on with it I'll post the progress.

Attached Thumbnails
# 446 26-03-2012 , 01:24 PM
Lifetime Member
Nice Dango...thats exactly what I used to draw as a kid by the gazillion....nice shading

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 447 26-03-2012 , 04:13 PM
Lifetime Member
That looks good

- Jake
# 448 26-03-2012 , 09:20 PM
19 year Veteran
Thata is'a very nice sketch Dango!

# 449 27-03-2012 , 10:31 AM
Thanks people!
Glad you like, am about to move onto the second item in the image, so hopefully I won't ruin it! Haha
Also, not sure if I should add the jaw onto him or not, any opinions?

*Edit* Added the jaw in the end, this looks far darker than in the sketchbook, should stop messing with it in Photoshop so much...lol

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Dango77; 28-03-2012 at 12:06 PM.
# 450 29-03-2012 , 12:59 AM
Here's another character concept I'm working on for another project

Attached Images

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!