Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-05-2006 , 05:23 PM
Subscriber

lattice question

Hi,

I need to animate some type, so I was wondering if I create a lattice if there is any way I can have it behave more like a curve. When I move a lattice point the transition to the next point is not really smooth.
I tried using a wire deformer, but for various complicated reasins I cannot use them.

anyone any ideas?

# 2 22-05-2006 , 06:23 PM
Im kinda confused...what do you mean by lattice? like a plane?...because objects can have lattices, im just confused on the wording of create a lattice.

Do you want a plane to ripple or something? How long is your animation, what are your key setpoints at? could you increase them to make the point move slower?

# 3 22-05-2006 , 07:07 PM
Subscriber
sorry if I was a bit vague, it's kinda difficult to explain images with words I guess. So here's an image of what I meant. Even if I have a reasonable high poly object, using a lattice will result in having a straight line from lattice point a to point b. I'd rather like this to be curved so the deformed object does not look too edgy.
And what I want to do to animate type like a flee circus so basically the letters bounce and swing around a little and eventually form a word.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 22-05-2006 , 07:10 PM
Ahh I completely see it now.

Can you increase the number of isoparms there are? or is it a poly object? I think the problem is just due to the amount of latice edges...

# 5 22-05-2006 , 08:06 PM
Subscriber
thanks, it is a poly object.
I could increase the number of lattice points, but it would be soooo painfull to animate if I had fifty subdivisions on my lattice, it would just take way to long. I am not sure but is it possible to somehow connect my lattice points to a curve. Kind of like a spline Ik works?
If not it's not that bad I sort of worked my way around by using all sorts of deformers and my lattice.

# 6 02-06-2006 , 10:27 PM
you will need more divisions on your lattice. you dont need 50 but at least 20.

ihth

# 7 03-06-2006 , 10:14 AM
Subscriber
thanks for your answer,

I kind of guessed that this was the only sollution. But animating them would just be such a pain. I gut my head around by using a wire deformer, sticking it in the center of my object, grouping it together and then modifying it's influence radius until I got what I wanted.

cheers