Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-06-2008 , 12:17 AM

Dragon Project

Hey guys, ive been working for the past 2 days on this Dragon,

i dont seem 2 find a proper images 2 define him,

i could only find the head but the rest of the body i just look at a pose image.

anyways i kinda finished with the head but im having problems trying to define his body, here is wat ive worked on

any Help Would Mean A lot

Cheers
user added image

The Head

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-06-2008 , 12:22 AM
The Body + Wire

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 04-06-2008 , 01:59 AM
Super Moderator
The head looks really good, though the body needs to have some muscle blocked out.

- Genny
# 4 04-06-2008 , 03:46 AM
thanks for the comment GecT.

yeah your right, its just, not having the a proper images of a dragon, i can't seem to see most of his parts and muscles, oh well i keep Googling

# 5 06-06-2008 , 01:19 AM
here is an update

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-06-2008 , 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
The changes look made it look much better, though watch out for those boxy areas on the body.

- Genny
# 7 06-06-2008 , 09:58 AM
you mean the ones on the stomach and backbone area?oh i just realize it lol user added image , i'll fix that

Thanks genny

# 8 06-06-2008 , 01:07 PM
i've added the wing and few muscle parts

Cheers
user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 06-06-2008 , 07:05 PM
i was just wondering should i make the head bigger or smaller and should the neck stay as it is or shorten it?

any help is appreciated

# 10 06-06-2008 , 07:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Anatomy on a mythical creature is a bit of a hazy subject, but in theory it has to look anatomically correct.
In simple English that means it has to look like it might exist and that means the neck has to have enough form and muscle to carrry the weight and size of the head and the legs have to be able to hold up the body ect.
One thing to watch out for is the balance of the creature, make sure for instance that the tail is long enough to compensate for the neck and head so it's not top or bottom heavy.
Also you might want to watch the size of the wings, since you are anatomically tied to body/head/neck and legs , the size of the wings must be decided by the total of these factors otherwise if too small it would never fly and likewise if too big then there might not be enough muscle to operate them and it would never fly.
If you are totally confused about animal anatomy i would suggest browsing for some references of simular sized animals ie horses or maybe monitor lizards ect.

Hope this helps a little and give you something to think about.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 06-06-2008 at 07:56 PM.
# 11 06-06-2008 , 10:07 PM
oh shoot i never thot of it this way i thot all mythical are given at random muscle parts or something, deng my Bad :headbang:

oh well i guess wat u said has just changed of how i start working now lol, thanks alot, that helps alot really.

the mistake i was doing is that i was just looking at a dragon pose which i got over google and i started following it, but i guess thats where i went wrong.

but now i get wat u mean by similar animal, that actually just made my work flow easier, now i can just type horse or bird anatomy and find a similar anatomy to watever creature im doing :attn:

Thanks alot Jsprogg

Cheers

user added image

# 12 07-06-2008 , 12:28 AM
i just had to work on the muscle parts, using the horse anatomy made it easy. i hope wat ive changed looks better

so how does it look now? ive followed wat you said jsprogg

Attached Thumbnails
# 13 07-06-2008 , 12:29 AM
Top view

Attached Thumbnails
# 14 07-06-2008 , 12:31 AM
The legs

Cheers

user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 07-06-2008 , 12:47 AM
nice work so far m8^^ this may seem like a bit of a radical idea, but have you tried having the wings running all the way down to the tip of the tail?almost like a pteranadon has its wings attached to the back limbs...i think if you were looking at it from a realism kind of way, it would catch more air and have more control of its wings that way-at the moment the wing arms dont look strong enough to support or control lift.
kutgw though coming along great!