Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-02-2008 , 11:19 PM

Great White Shark !

Hi 2 all

This is a frame from my animation, in which a Great White Shark Attacks the viewer.

It still needs some elements, bubbles, light rays, motion blur, DOF,etc... will be done in post.

Here it is tell me what you think

Thanks

Andy Gee

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Andy Gee; 20-02-2008 at 11:23 PM.
# 2 21-02-2008 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
wow, it looks really good.
the eye sockets could use something less holey. It looks like there should be something there and not so much that you just can't see the eyes.

Can't wait to see it with the post effects. Should be good!

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 21-02-2008 , 12:20 AM
Looks great! Can you give some info on the render/materials/lights used?

# 4 21-02-2008 , 04:56 AM
So nice, hope updates more!

user added image

# 5 21-02-2008 , 09:21 AM
Hi 2 all

the setup, I used for this was a custom ocean. Which means

I created a Nurbs plane, added a mental ray dielectric shader, and to that added a 2d ocean shader to the displacement. that way i got a correct underwater surface feel. Instead of using the standard maya ocean.

As for lighting, Final gather, an environment sphere (NOT a geometry sphere) with an HDRI sky on the top and a ramp on the bottom from dark blue to medium blue.

then added two directional lights as needed.

hope this helps

Andy Gee

# 6 21-02-2008 , 01:33 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Im a big fan of these fish and follow most of the documentaries about them alot, and overall I think its a great job. Water is a bugger to get right above or below the surface.

However, I have one small nag concerning the Great White. Overall it look pretty damn menacing as it should but the scarring on the head and in particular below the eye draws your attention to it immediatley. Knock it back a bit and/or make it a little thinner in width. It just needs to be visible but not to the point of drawing attention to itself.

the water reflecion too, on the fish just blur it a little more as its pretty sharp

again its a great job so far and I look forward to the resulting animation.

Cheers
Jay

# 7 21-02-2008 , 06:42 PM
Hay Jay

thanks for the comments, The scaring isnt a problem I would just dial back the normal map a tad, that said some reference picks i have of great whites are pretty scared up, also I havent added any motion blur as of yet So.... that will soften it I think.

As for the water I need to scale up the nurbs plane from 80 x 80 x 80 up to 400 x x400 x 400 without losing the displacement mapping, the reflection is just a start will dial that back afterwards

Thanks

Andy Gee

# 8 21-02-2008 , 06:57 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Andy

No probs, its nice to give a new guy some crit and not have him get upset over it.

I agree with the scarring, Ive seen these 'greats' with half their tails torn off too, quite impressive. I just felt the depth and with could be dialled back to keep the eye from being directly attracted to it.

Look forward to the rest
Jay

# 9 21-02-2008 , 11:09 PM
Senior Software Developer
I agree 100% with Jays comments those scars are way to deep, size wise they are fine but change the bump depth (i think thats what ur using).

On the water side, gnomon had a great tutorial on underwater lighting effect for a dolphin scene.

You can find it here:

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tut.../lightfog.html

https://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/tut...imple_fog.html

Both cover fog and should give you a little insight on how to get that underwater feeling.

Its a tough one to get 100% right, it took Pixar months to get it right in Finding Nemo and they still hate it :p

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 10 25-02-2008 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
I actually feel like a dork on this one becuase frankly, you can't tell looking at that image that it is CGI. If I saw it in a magazine, I wouldn't think twice.

The only thing that caught my eye were the teeth. The shark looks a bit gap toothed. I'd add, or make more visible, the second row of teeth that a shark would have to fill out the mouth a bit more.

Other than that, extremely impressive.

# 11 25-02-2008 , 11:42 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Really nice
its gonna be good user added image