Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 06-12-2003 , 03:25 PM
it just amazes me to watch all this come together!!!!

"Si vis pacem para bellum" if you desire peace, prepare for war.
# 17 07-12-2003 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
I just thought you all might like to know where I'm at with it. I'm working on the UV parameterization with the colorBox texture. I'm half way through. As you can see there is bad problems with stretching some along the neck and bottom of the legs. The rest is much better than it was. Also there is that little spot behind and lower than the eye's.

Let me know if you see some other problems.

The arms were a pain !

(dancing around first render with MR. It was probably over kill for something like this but I wanted to SEE !)

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 07-12-2003 , 09:14 AM
Subscriber
Looks pretty good to me!

Only bit I can see is in the centre of the tail, looks a little odd, but maybe that's just the way the mesh moves.

Really looking forward to the textures!
And nice to see you got the mray GI working nicely too user added image

# 19 07-12-2003 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Thanks chris. Oh it toke me a minuet to figger out what was the deal with the tail.

The skin has bean riped of that middle part of the tail. Hears a close up.. the bones are not round enufe.. but that will change.

oh yeah the skin is supposed to droop down, but there is a lattis deformer for that, that is not active.

Attached Images
# 20 08-12-2003 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
Ah, it all makes sense now user added image

Really nice section and modelling mate!

# 21 09-12-2003 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
Thought I would up date a bit. This next pic might not look like there is much difference but.. The stretching in the back of the neck, face (around the nose, jaw socket, horn post), feet. and all along the spikes. is gone. There are still little arias but I think I will go nuts first before I get them. The texture is placed a lot more evenly through out also.

It doesn’t look like much but there are a lot of convex and concave geo there..

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 09-12-2003 , 11:16 AM
that's really well mapped pony mate! Did you do it just by hand or did you use any tools to do it? e.g. danny's tools? I'm absolutley dreading doing the UV mapping on my tank cause it's gonna take forever!

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 23 09-12-2003 , 11:32 AM
pony posted

It doesn’t look like much but there are a lot of convex and concave geo there..

:love:

it sure looks like a lot to me. But then I have watched it grow.shrink, divide, and render ever render.
:bgreen:

map on Baby...:thumbsup:

# 24 09-12-2003 , 11:45 AM
lol how biased! user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 25 09-12-2003 , 01:42 PM
You can bet your eight legs I am biased!!! *snickers*

However, I do not think there are many, if any, that would not agree, pony has real talent. So, biased or not he is good.
*VBG*

# 26 10-12-2003 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
Thanks pure !!! yeah buy hand !!! Yeah UV mapping, well there are really slow ways and thin there are the just slow ways.. (roles eyes). Really I think I can do it pretty fast now..

When I first UV mapped this one it toke about 40 hours. If I did it agin I'm sure I could do it under 10 now.. much less if I redid the model also. But don't ask me to try because I'm to tired of it after cleaning up all the problems from not having a good plan.

Are you texturing the tank now ? Think I will pop buy the thread and look, when I get back up.

Pony'sGirl,, (grins) winks.

# 27 10-12-2003 , 05:30 PM
Why is it that even when you see someone else UV mapping you cring. Looks like you have a few small issues to iron out then you can have some fun. Painting something like this looks like a lot fun.

edit, Haha. I did a brain fart and posted this on the end of my thread. I had to move it.

# 28 28-12-2003 , 08:14 AM
Subscriber
hears a screen shot. just playing with the basic colors.

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 28-12-2003 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
rendered.
C+C if you like on the colors. its very simple at the moment I will of corse be doing a lot more with it.. but like I don't think the color on the muscles is working very well at all.

Attached Thumbnails
# 30 31-12-2003 , 05:02 AM
Awsome concept with the exposed muscles, didn't get just what those were until you painted them.. the color seems to be a bit to deep of a red, and if you look at muscle it has a lot of subtle little lines in it, but maybe you were going to do that with bump and specularty maps. In any case, keep up the good work!

Cheers! user added image