Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 20-01-2004 , 10:36 AM

Hole in Nurb plane surface

Hi,

I have created a birailed surface, and now want to "fill in" the area "inside" one of the rail curves. I created another curve, so there was a closed sqaure of sorts that i wanted to "fill". I then created a "planar" surface (options: Degree - cubic, curve range - complete, output - nurbs)

It looked fine, but unfortunately i have just noticed there is a massive hole in one of the corners. The curve follows the corner smoothly, but the surface just takes a diagonal across the corner

user added image

If i rebuild nurbs with really high U & V values, the problem shrinks but does not disappear, but obviously it also slows maya down, which i dont want.

Is there any way around this? user added image

Thanks

# 2 20-01-2004 , 02:31 PM
Subscriber
b 4 u do a planar, make sure your curve is on display level 3.
(or try level 1)
p.s. after u do a planar for cuve on level 3, do not adjust the planar surface's display level.
if u do it on a curve of level 1, then try adjusting displa level

# 3 20-01-2004 , 02:33 PM
Subscriber
the planer surface need more definition. go to the planer surface atributes and look for the tab PlanerTrimSurface1, (the number at the end will vary depending on how many planers where created before the one in question) under planer trim history change the degree to cubic and lower the tolerance. see if this helps. let me know.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 4 20-01-2004 , 02:38 PM
Subscriber
just did a check on that last one. what you are seeing is only in display mode not actually what renders. if you dont see it in the render dont worry about it.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 5 20-01-2004 , 04:01 PM
Ooooops - i have been really dumb!! you are right, that is only what displays - it is rendering fine! - if i enable "display render tesselation" it displays fine

Thanks for the help, but one other thing, the planar surface is a trimmed plane. I want to intersect something into the plane, then cut out the bit i intersected - is there any way i can do this? if i select the trim tool, it will not let me select that plane

Thanks again user added image

# 6 20-01-2004 , 05:27 PM
Subscriber
that gets tricky. planer objects cannont be modified. one thing you can do is select the isoparm of the outer planer then shift select the iso of the inner planer and hit planer. this USUALLY makes a planer with the hole punched out in the middle, but 90% of the time something isnt lined up correctly for the planer to work. what you can do is select both the isoparms and loft them together to make a surface. much easier and less hassle.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 7 20-01-2004 , 05:35 PM
ah - worked a treat user added image

Thanks

Last edited by [=hris; 20-01-2004 at 05:41 PM.
# 8 20-01-2004 , 10:41 PM
A planar surface can have objects intersect it and then have an area trimmed with relative ease I believe.

Try this:

1. Create a planar surface
2. Create a nurbs cylinder and make sure the cylinder goes through the plane
3. Select the planar surface and then shift select the cylinder
4. Select edit nurbs/intersect surfaces and bring out the options dialogue box
5. click on the option "create curves for 1st surface"
6. Ensure "curve on surface" is also selected
7. click on intersect

8. Now if you try using the trim tool on the planar surface, you should be able select it and select which bit of the planar surface you want to keep.

9. delete the cylinder and you should be left with a planar surface with a hole in it.

The hole may look somewhat jagged but should render ok. Rebuilding the planar surface with more u and v spans may make the hole look better as well.

From my limited experience, step 6 is the important one when it comes to the trimming. If there is no curve on the surface you won't be able to trim it.

Selecting create curves for both surfaces would allow you to be able to trim both the planar surface and the cylinder where they intersect.

If you really wanted as well, you could make a planar surface with say 8 u and 8 v patches; then you could select some of the points on the planar surface and move them to make bumps in the surface.

Hope this helps

# 9 21-01-2004 , 06:38 PM
Hmmm that is odd - i was doing that before, but it didnt work - it works fine now! user added image Maybe i had some tool option wrong by mistake.

Thanks user added image