Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 07-01-2009 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber

Speeder Tutorial WIP

Hi Guys,

Been doing the Speeder Tutorial by Jason Edwards and jsut wanted to share my work so far, just going to start the UV secion.

I have diversified from the tutorial a little adding extra detail and changed the engine a little.

Just wanted to see what people think so far?

thanks Mithandra

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-01-2009 , 02:15 PM
SM Tea Boy
Looks great so far are you new to Maya?

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 3 07-01-2009 , 02:31 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Mithandra

well done, its looking good so far, its good to see people adding their own custom parts to it...I should have called it the Speeder hotrod tutorial.

Keep up the good work. Make sure to check on the other Speeder thread by ctbram here..https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=31532

cheers
Jay

# 4 07-01-2009 , 07:56 PM
Subscriber
Hi,

I am been messsing with Maya since 6.5 but havent actually finished anything appart from a Mech and some animated logos lmao.

Oh i have done some of the Digital Tutors stuff like the police wagon and the car. Must have spent about £1000 on tutorials so far though lol

Done quite a few logo's for companies I have worked for while developing NMS applications but thats about it.

I really Love doing 3D but just dont get enough time to spend.

Just one question, I havent done any texture mapping before and just trying to get the engine done, I have put a cylindrical map round the engine but cannot for the life of me work out how to rotate it from round the model to along the model.

Can anyone help

thanks Mithandra

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mithandra; 07-01-2009 at 08:01 PM.
# 5 07-01-2009 , 09:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
looking at the picture toward the bottom left of the tool, you need to hit the little red looking cross hair, this enables the rotate scale and move tool for the projection and will allow you to move the uvs

Jay

# 6 08-01-2009 , 08:52 AM
It's looking good Mith. Ever onward!

Jay has you covered on the cylindrical mapping. Select the little red cross hair and the rotation handle will appear.

Laying out the UV's is time consuming but I find with practice they are starting to be less of a burden.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 08-01-2009 at 08:57 AM.