Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 15-02-2010 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber

bevel not working

Hi! I'm having some trouble with a bevel operation that wont take effect.
I've used bevel on one part of the edge and it worked fine. I then try to do it on another part of the edge and nothing happens visually. the bevel appears in the history menu but there is no bevel to be seen and I used the exact same settings as for the first bevel.
I've tried looking around for double faces or multiple verts that maybe interfered with the operation but there were none to be found.
And I dont know what to do next.
Any ideas on this?

Thanks!

# 2 15-02-2010 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
Have you tried selecting both edges at once and doing the bevel?

# 3 15-02-2010 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
I sort of sorted it out. I did allg the bevels at the same time and increased the bevel width just a little.
still dont know why it did'nt work before though =)

# 4 16-02-2010 , 03:07 AM
yeah I have seen this before but it usually has to do with the geometry. If you attempt to bevel an edge that is to close to another edge the bevel will appear not to happen because it is laid right on top of the edge you selected.

Can you post a screen shot of the geometry and all the edges you are trying to bevel when the bevel appears to fail?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 16-02-2010 , 11:41 AM
Subscriber
There were so many edges on my object that I wanted to bevel that I tried to do them a few at a time but apperantly maya didnt like that. I've attached a scrnshot of one place the bevel didnt work. the picture however was taken efter I did the bevel on all the edges at the same time so the edges in the picture HAS got a bevel on them.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 16-02-2010 , 06:24 PM
hmm geometry looks fine I can't really see a reason that maya would not perform the bevel on that edge.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675