Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-08-2005 , 08:03 PM

where do i downolad maya

?

# 2 12-08-2005 , 08:09 PM

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 12-08-2005 , 09:23 PM
Subscriber
This is in no way meant to be a harsh criticism, or flame, but would it be possible to set up this forum so that new members are forced to read certain posts before they can post as members.

Much like a "press F8 to agree" that MS use. Have new posters tag thier names onto the end of the thread to confirm they have read the post and understand the data therin.

Then that thread could contain all the easy answers that questions are based on that we all see weekly basis without fail?

Where can I get maya from?
How to render a movie?
How do I get points?

If the users id is in the thread, they can then post regular messages in the forum.

Seems like telling people to search for previous posts just isnt cutting it.

# 4 12-08-2005 , 09:30 PM
Subscriber
Yes, but its not that hard to take then 5 seconds to reply to these threads and then delete them after the newb has what he needs. But your idea might sound more efficient when it is in effect but, it would take long to actually set it all up.

# 5 12-08-2005 , 10:04 PM
Subscriber
azimuth,

So you're telling me every forum board you've signed up to, you have fully read the agreement user added image

Seriously there are always going to be newbie and there are always going to be post like yours. No different to every forum board out there. The cycle goes on.

You will find as people get more posts under there belt this will be less of an issue. No matter what ideas you come up with, you're never going to make a newbie forum board user an expert.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited by BMS; 12-08-2005 at 11:14 PM.
# 6 12-08-2005 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
So true. My first forum experience was with SM. I cant believe how stupid I sounded at the begining(?). I owe all my skills to SM, and kevin I guess, since he started it all. Well kevin, I guess you can say you have made a HUGE staple in my life. I am forever thankful. Oh yeah, and the 3d stuff, thats cool 2.

# 7 13-08-2005 , 08:45 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by BMS
azimuth,

So you're telling me every forum board you've signed up to, you have fully read the agreement user added image.......

Well, Im not 100% sure of what you mean, but when it comes to forums I certainly try to read all the obvious posts first, sticky's and thread with titles like "READ HERE FRIST".

Then it seems pretty obvious (well to me anyway) to search for answers to questions I may have. There are very few original questions anymore, anywhere. There is a very good chance that if I have a question on Maya, then somone else has probably asked that same question on this board or others (google search), and got a satisfactory answer.

Originally posted by BMS

.... You will find as people get more posts under there belt this will be less of an issue. No matter what ideas you come up with, you're never going to make a newbie forum board user an expert.

It is the life cycle of firstly asking easy questions, then onto more indepth questions, and actually answering easy questions for others from time to time, as the board member becomes more experianced. But practically every forum has a search, and to me it seems lazy and discourtious to not use the facilities put out in plain view.

Again not meaning to be at all personnal or harsh, but asking questions without doing at least the tinyest little bit of research on your own first, strikes me as a little bit like a petulant child insisting that everyone else do the work for them.

I must reiterate again, this is in no way personnal, I have recently realised in the real world and on the net a huge proportaion of people are far more lazy than I thought, and would prefer to always ask others to do thier work for them, without showing the tinyest bit of effort themelves - and that really bugs me.

Anyway, it seems I sound like a grumpy old man! It my little grudge to bare and should'nt take it out on you kind folks user added image

# 8 13-08-2005 , 11:06 AM
Subscriber
Like I said, I find your post as common as the post you commented on. As stated before, newbies will be newbies till the end of time and the cycle continues.

I'm not trying to be harsh either, but you need to understand that not all of us expect newbies to get it all right on their first post.

Just think back to your first question on this board, could it have been solved with a search, read through the help file (F1) or even a Google search? I'm betting it could have.

My suggestion to you is stop and think back to when you were a newbie.

Cheers
Paul