Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 23-12-2006 , 02:11 PM
Subscriber
Ahh its that time of year, haven't had much of a chance to keep this project rolling, but I havent forgotten about it.

After coming back to this today after almost a week, the guns were looking a little 'weak'... so i have started them again but already I'm thinking it just doesnt suit it. I know the edges around the barrels are a little thin on the geometry side, but aside from that if anyone has any suggestions please speak up! Maybe it needs a 'plasma' type of gun rather than a chaingun thing?

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 24-12-2006 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber
Well I've given it a new gun, personally I prefer this one so I'll keep working on it for a bit, then its back to the wings and rear end.

Edit: Merry Xmas everyone, have fun!

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 24-12-2006 , 09:29 AM
wow! looks very very nice!

keep it up!

Merry christmas to u too user added image

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 19 24-12-2006 , 11:44 PM
Subscriber
# 20 28-12-2006 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
Right I think I'm going to need some help. Theres 2 main 'problems' I'm having at the moment. (and lots of little questions too!)

1) The first is a matter of opinion - do I add more guns, or more thrusters to the model? Personally i think the wings look a little dull as they are, and i always intended on doing something with them.

2) I really want to work out normal mapping to get some fine detail into my model. Things like bolts, panels and so on. I am generally aware of the theory of normal mapping and ive seen millions of different tutorials, but most of these are from pretty dodgy looking sources, and using some pretty weird looking techniques and 'shortcuts' (such as converting bump maps into normal maps). Can someone just point me in the direction of a really decent tutorial for this - bearing in mind I've only ever made colour maps.

As I get close to finishing the model I'm getting curious about a few things too. Like does it matter how many 'pieces' your model is in? Should it all be a lambert or does that not matter? Would a specular map be of any use to this model, and if so how do i make them? Would i bother to make a bump map if i was normal mapping the model anyway? Ahh, so much to learn - if anyone has some experience with game models i'd appreciate some help!

# 21 28-12-2006 , 02:20 PM
Normal maps are basically a "new improved version" of bump maps. Haven't done any myself. But you basically create a high poly version of your model and then render out the normal maps and apply those to your low poly model. It depends on the renderer you use how exactly you go about it. Sorry but I haven't got a tutorial for you.

About the number of pieces it's really up to the programmer what he thinks is best. Usually it doesn't matter how many pieces there are. Although it's more efficient with fewer pieces, so don't split up the model when it's pointless.

A specular map can of course give a more realistic appearance since some parts could reflect more light than other or your model.

About the materials it also depends heavily on the graphics engine and if you gonna bake textures etc. Just use lambert and blinn for showing off the model.

# 22 30-12-2006 , 04:44 AM
Subscriber
Cheers for the info!

At the moment I have the hull all as one peice, and moving parts like handles, footpedals and wings are seperated. Hopefully thats a sensible way to do it.

I'll have a look into specular and normal mapping a bit more, see if i can get anywhere.

# 23 30-12-2006 , 08:54 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Petrol

Neat Design...

Jay

# 24 30-12-2006 , 11:45 PM
Not bad at all..

But i would like to See another render with a "whiteish" background.

if you ask me, it looks more professional user added image

no pictures or anything. Just modify the perspective camera settings

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 25 31-12-2006 , 12:31 AM
Subscriber
Jay - I know it's not much but I'm still new to this really, but thanks!

Grev - Yeah I totally understand what you mean, I really am terrible with rendering at the moment. I was looking into clay renders not long ago, I might try that soon - hopefully it will look a bit more professional. Thanks for the comment!

# 26 31-12-2006 , 03:00 AM
happy to "help"

(__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
# 27 02-01-2007 , 10:40 PM
Subscriber
Hey, nice design so far.
In answer to your first question, I think adding a missile bay to the two splints which hold the wings out out would look pretty cool, though this might mean that in order to aim the missiles, the player would have to alter the direction of the craft accordingly - unless of course they are self-guided. The altering course thing could act as a nice game-play dynamic, as I remember when playing Wipeout, though it did sometimes just get frustrating. Then again I am a sore loser... :p

# 28 03-01-2007 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
ZeroAlarm: Thanks mate! Actually it's funny you should say that, as I had exactly the same thought. I'll give it a try when i next get a chance. The model is on a brief hold at the moment as I'm at a 3d school during the day and need to practice the days work when i get home in the evenings. But i'll come back to it at the weekends if i get some time. user added image

# 29 03-01-2007 , 05:08 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by petrol
ZeroAlarm: Thanks mate! Actually it's funny you should say that, as I had exactly the same thought. I'll give it a try when i next get a chance. The model is on a brief hold at the moment as I'm at a 3d school during the day and need to practice the days work when i get home in the evenings. But i'll come back to it at the weekends if i get some time. user added image

Haha yes well great minds think alike user added image
What 3D school do you go to, out of interest and are you doing a modelling course or what?

# 30 05-01-2007 , 10:01 PM
Subscriber
I'm at Escape Studios in London, just started a few days ago. It's for 3 months and its a 'Comprehensive' course which basically takes you to an intermediate level with Maya across the pipeline in your chosen field - in my case game art (modelling, texturing, rigging, animation etc). Theres 3 main comprehensive courses: Maya Comp for Games, Maya Comp for VFX, and Maya Comp for Characters all of which are £8,500. They also do a bunch of other courses.

It seems pricey considering the short duration, but its a highly acclaimed training center so you get what you pay for. So far the training has been intense. I've learnt more solid knowledge in 4 days than I thought was possible. user added image Have a look! www.escapestudios.co.uk

Last edited by petrol; 05-01-2007 at 10:06 PM.