Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 28-11-2008 , 10:15 PM

merge layers - photoshop.

i'm trying to merge 2 layers in photoshop. the top layer is on hard light at a 100%. the bottom layer is on normal but at 57%. the pic on the left shows them unmerged. on the right is merged. how do i merge them without the colors changing?

dumb question i know. help! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 28-11-2008 , 11:45 PM
I am fairly certain that they shouldn't change, haha.
Sorry, I can't help you user added image
user added image

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 29-11-2008 , 12:46 AM
Subscriber
do you have any layer styles or anything on your single layers before merging?

# 4 29-11-2008 , 07:11 PM
thanks for the reply - one of the layers is on hard light - the other is on normal at 57% opacity. is that what you mean by layer style?

# 5 30-11-2008 , 08:19 AM
Are there any other layers under those two u described? if yes then that is normal. When you merge layers down the resulting layer gonn be at 100% of opacity and at normal mode. So it can affect appearence of the whole image. Try to play with the opacity of top layer after merging.

# 6 30-11-2008 , 01:37 PM
thanks quadfactor. yeah, there are layers underneath. the problem is, once the layers have merged, the color of the two layers has changed (more greyish blue as oppossed to yellow), so playing with the opacity didn't work.

i also tried seperating the layers, hiding everything else and merging visible, but the color still changed.

i've read a few post with others having similar problems.

# 7 30-11-2008 , 04:28 PM
Perhaps you can post the psd?

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 8 30-11-2008 , 05:31 PM
This can happen also if u've applied some layer styles to one or both layers that are being merged.
This can be anything such as color overlay, satin, gradient overlay.

Maybe there are some of ajustment layers affecting the layers are to be merged.

Anyway try this:

1) Create a blank layer beneath each layer to be merged.
2) Merge each pair of layers (containig smth+empty) down.
3) Make sure that nothing changed. If changed play with opacity of each of two newly marged layers. At this step may happen u'll find out whats made you woory user added image
4) If evrthn looks fine merge 'em down. It can't be the difference after merging.

If it still happens check, the color model of your document.
It has to be an RGB or LAB. It can't be CMYK or Indexed color so change it to proper value.

In case it everything won't help. U still can save the image like JPEG with high quality. Image has to be merged down correctly, so later u could import it to PS and continue working with it like with simple layer.

You really interested me with that case. Stay in touch. Want to hear the ending of story.

If

# 9 01-12-2008 , 12:19 AM
One simple thing I like to do in these situations is simply turn off all unnecessary layers, even flat-colored bg layers, and get your psd looking like you want it, then select the whole canvas, and go to EDIT > Copy Merged.

Then simply paste that data to a new layer. Done.

Works for layers with transparent areas, with/without layer styles as well as layers with multiple different transfer modes, etc.

Good luckuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 10 01-12-2008 , 03:19 AM
Didn't know about that solution. Very useful. Hope it will help to Arran.

# 11 01-12-2008 , 08:38 AM
hey guys - thanks for all these great suggestions - you've given me a lot to work with.

stuck at work for the next few days, but as soon as i get a chance, i'll give everything a go and let you know how i get on.

thanks again. user added image