Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 04-03-2010 , 03:35 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Dave,

yes there are mate, Im just a little busy building society to spend more time on it. I have completed the plane bar the cockpit and gun turrets. Will post some pics today. Sorry but I have been flat out being a Surveyor with my new business. My sincere apologies guys.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 04-03-2010 , 07:36 AM
No worries! That is why we call it a hobby. Gotta keep food on the table and a roof over your head.

It's coming along nicely, looking forward to updates when you get the time.

cheers

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 18 04-03-2010 , 08:51 AM
Lifetime Member
I hope to do it as a living one day soon, sadly as you put ctbram the kids and missus need to be fed etc and people need me to Survey the roads so they can build them to get home, ha ha ha.

Ok here is of the latest.

Oh and ctbram thanks for the help on my grid going vertical, I saved the e-mail for future ref dont worry!!!

I will have time this weekend to nearly finish the modelling I hope. Im not sure whether to extrude the cockpit and turrets or create new layers and do it with seperate cubes, still thinking about that one.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 04-03-2010 at 09:00 AM.
# 19 04-03-2010 , 09:02 AM
Lifetime Member
Tried to edit and attach the wireframe but it wont let me.

If you can see this do the wires look ok??

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 20 04-03-2010 , 09:32 AM
The thin red line
Looking good bullet, are you just modelling or are you going to animate........dave

# 21 04-03-2010 , 09:43 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks Dave,

no I would love to animate it. I have done the simple bouncing ball and solar system before (which actually worked). I am trying to work out how I will do the cockpits etc then TRY and I mean TRY to texture it, or animate FIRST then texture later???

I would like to see the props working and the turrets moving in an animation AND if I can get my head around it, flashing from the guns. It will be difficult as I am scanning tutorials/books and learning moves etc from them. I am self taught in all my Survey software and have no troubles at gaming, so even an old fella like me should be able to do it.

I might go little steps and try the animation first as I have never textured before and it looks a little confusing.

I have some limited Photoshop experience so I can do the basic stuff without trouble, bring on the learning I say!!
Love this stuff, just love it!!!! I am going to start drawing again too (if time permits).

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 22 04-03-2010 , 09:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Dave,

my Nanna is from London and was in the WAIF?? and my Pop was a bombadier in Lancs. I saw his crew photo here in Perth at the Aviation museum. I would like to get his Squad number and texture it with the right signage and show her whilst she is still here.

bullet1968

# 23 04-03-2010 , 12:27 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
My father was a NCO and flew wellingtons and Halifaxes and my mother was a typist at the Nuremberg Trials, I think they both was a lot of life.........dave

# 24 04-03-2010 , 12:29 PM
Lifetime Member

filling hole

Hi guys,

Ok Ive kinda made the front bubble and used the cut face to create my flat glass front. I have tried create polygon tool and triangulate etc but it doesnt seem to fill the hole. I tried the fill hole tool as well but that didnt seem to work properly, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 25 04-03-2010 , 12:32 PM
Lifetime Member

Grandys

Yeh Dave,

they would have had it hard. My Nanna did a radio interview a few years ago (she's 84!!, Pop gone), brought a tear to my eye, so many of their boys didnt come home. "Silver wings in the moonlight".

bullet

bullet1968

# 26 04-03-2010 , 01:35 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
Have you got a referance shot so we can see what you are tring to do..............dave

# 27 04-03-2010 , 01:46 PM
both fill hole and append to polygon should work! If they do not then you have some kind of funky non-manifold geometry or messed up shape node or something going on.

For append to polygon remember you should create the polygon counter-clock-wise.

For fill hole you select a single edge and then choose fill hole.

also from the screen shot you posted the hole you cut into the sphere does not appear to be planar. I am assuming you want to cut a flat planar surface into the sphere?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2010 at 01:52 PM.
# 28 04-03-2010 , 03:06 PM
If it is the front lower nose blister you are working on I think you are going to want to shoot for something like this...

user added imageuser added imageuser added image

Here is the reference image I grabbed off google images...

user added image

I made it really fast so I did not think hard about optimization and it's not a perfect match but it's close and demonstrates the process. From the reference the blister is really not a perfect hemisphere. So I should have cut it a few faces up from the equator of the original sphere.

It is basically a 20x20 sphere (default). Deleted the lower half. Created a 1x1 poly plane and then positioned it to cut out the planar part. Did a boolean difference. Cleaned the mesh. Extruded the frame parts. Extracted the flat glass piece. Grouped it all up, deleted the history, etc.

Here is the .ma file if you want to take a closer look at it...

Attached Files
File Type: rar lancaster_nose_blister_02.rar (30.4 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2010 at 05:03 PM.
# 29 04-03-2010 , 10:45 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi guys,

wow thanks for the heads up. Ummmm yeh CCW, that I didnt do, ooopsss. I did cut it planar though, through side view then deleted the un needed triangles. Thanks ctbram I will check it out when I get home home work and duplicate yours.

Thanks HEAPS guys, the ref image I am using for the model, is from an airfix plastic model kit, back page. I have the fron and top in same format. I had used the cut poly tool to create the planar face but had moved some vertices so it didnt look circular, my bad.

Attached Images

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 04-03-2010 at 10:48 PM.
# 30 05-03-2010 , 08:36 AM
Lifetime Member

ctbram

I couldnt get the difference to work BUT did it with intersection and seemed to work????

bullet1968