Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 28-03-2007 , 03:51 PM
Jr.Who
Looking pretty good! One hint: turn off the primary visibility on your HDRI, so it wonÕt show up on the render. user added image

# 17 28-03-2007 , 04:01 PM
cheers. what do you suggest to make things better?

how do i turn off the HDRI primary visibility? The texture is applied to a sphere. it is on its own layer, but when I set that layers visibility off it scene doesnt light at all.???

# 18 28-03-2007 , 04:16 PM
Hey man, coming allong really well.

I usualy map the HDR to the Imagee based lighting node in the mental ray render globals, you can then make it not visible in renders, I've never used the sphere method, dont know whay just never had!

Have a look at happymat27's lighting tutorial, it uses 3 point lighing and will give you a really good start into lighing scenes without HDR's (as there a bit of a cheat!) as well as giving you great understanding into lighting.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 19 28-03-2007 , 04:43 PM
hey man thanks

yeh iv seen his tut its good. i understand the old 3 piont system. i was just using the map for ease at the moment.

Really interested to see what you guys think of the model etc. cheers for pointing out the lighting node in the globals.

cant wait to model my mixer and then double the turntable to get teh full scene

cheers for the input

# 20 29-03-2007 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

the knobbles on your turntable don't seem to be spaced coprrectly (see attached).

It's good to experiment with lighting and shaders (or anything in Maya really), there are so many ways to achieve similar results, it's what makes learning the software fun.

Steve: cheers for plugginh my tutorial!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

Attached Images
# 21 29-03-2007 , 04:28 AM
haha yeh mat have to hold my hands up to that one. there was a space after duplication so i just duplicated one set agian but they too large to fit in the space so i just hacked the effect lol not too much of a problem as most renders will be done from the front.

glad you noticed:p :p

cheers guys

# 22 29-03-2007 , 05:00 AM
Subscriber
If at first you don't succeed, bodge it LOL!!

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 23 29-03-2007 , 06:03 AM
one more. im worried to touch the texture ha was looking ok.

user added image

# 24 29-03-2007 , 06:43 AM
Jr.Who
Now just change the background on your camera to the same color as your plane.

# 25 29-03-2007 , 12:47 PM
cheers Jr Who changed the background

user added image
user added image

Im enjoying this project!

# 26 29-03-2007 , 02:38 PM
out of interest, what is it that makes a render look truly realistic? I mean the second picture looks (in my own opinion lol) fairly real. whereas the first one does show off the model quite nicely but does not look as real etc.

so question would be that i feel the model is pretty accurate (with a few modifications etc) and im pretty happy with it, tho as i dont understand or have tried to learn UV mapping yet how can i use shaders or simple textures to make it look more realistic.

thanks for all the help and encouragement guys. truly making the job of learning 3D and maya on my own a whole lot easier! and quicker as its only been 3 months so far! its gone very quickly haha.

robin

# 27 29-03-2007 , 02:42 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by rcb25
out of interest, what is it that makes a render look truly realistic? I mean the second picture looks (in my own opinion lol) fairly real. whereas the first one does show off the model quite nicely but does not look as real etc.

so question would be that i feel the model is pretty accurate (with a few modifications etc) and im pretty happy with it, tho as i dont understand or have tried to learn UV mapping yet how can i use shaders or simple textures to make it look more realistic.

thanks for all the help and encouragement guys. truly making the job of learning 3D and maya on my own a whole lot easier! and quicker as its only been 3 months so far! its gone very quickly haha.

robin

IMHO, experience. You have to know what to do, where to do it, and when to do it.

In other words: good lighting. user added image

# 28 29-03-2007 , 02:58 PM
yeh. i was confused up until the "good lighting" point lol. i will eventually use my own lighting and no the HDR map once iv finished the modeling that i want to detail.

also need to find a good set of chrome settings.

its funny i recall a post by someone else saying "dont fall in love with your first girlfriend" which ironically i have in real live but also am I being blinded by the fact that im just happy i managed to create something?

i am desperate to learn hence why all points are welcome. i have even written to a few animation companies where i live looking for unpaid shadow work over the summer.

since my degree isnt in 3D or animation i worry that il struggle compared to all those who have attended specific schools. tho im sure my honours degree will come in handy lol

sorry for the long post..haha thanks for reading if u got this far

robin

# 29 29-03-2007 , 03:07 PM
if you want your object to be photo real you need to play with the settings of the materials that you use. One of the big things is that you should look into using the fresnell effect for the refelctive materials as well as looking at reference, to fine tune your materials so they look right. Takes a bit of test renders but its worth it, next time you come to make a chrome material you will have it in the back of your head where to start.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 30 29-03-2007 , 03:10 PM
Jr.Who
What I meant was that it takes lots of practice to figure out how to render stuff realistically. You need to know which lights (I donÕt know why you think you need to take the HDR off, it looks good to me.), materials, settings (i.e. GI, Caustics, Motion Blur, etc.), shadows, etc. to use.

Do a test render without the HDRI and put some real lights in there and see which one looks better. My guess: the HDR one.

BTW, to get a realistic render, youÔre usually going to need to render it under mental ray.

And a realistic render doesnÕt have ÒMaya PLEÓ all over it! :lmao: :p