Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 14-05-2008 , 11:55 PM

Poser?

Has anyone here used the program Poser? Is it any good?

# 2 15-05-2008 , 12:25 AM
I tried it once ages ago when I started 3D. It doesn't really do that much, just posing a character, adding clothing, hair, rendering. I don't think you can actually model a character (maybe I just didn't find out how) but if you're interested, there is a similair program called DAZstudio that is free, but you have to pay for the content or make it yourself.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 15-05-2008 , 04:41 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I used poser in a job I did for about 5 years, but we didnt use it as our primary software, it was more like a quick cheat to make the daily deadlines

We were using it to create characters very quickly for a 3d daily cartoon strip, we were posing everything within the software but were then exporting out to Maya as objs to surface and redo the clothing, we were then attaching heads that were built and rigged in Maya, then rendering into Maya built scenes etc to fit the comic.

Over time we began phasing it out as poser has a very distinct look about it and you can tell it a mile off after a while and it becomes almost stale. Also you want control over your characters and by building them in Maya it frees you up to customise them to your specific ideas, other wise you end up with somebody else software and model, its always best to keep things individual in my opinion.

Its great to get you going in 3d but after a while it does get a little boring as you realise it very limited in what it does, you cant build a car in it for instance...but give it a go by all means it may suit your needs...

cheers
Jay