Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 18-06-2010 , 02:22 AM
Lifetime Member
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! !!!!!!! Im only just learning Maya dude........sob...sob LOL.

Oh well I guess if its quicker it helps. Thanks (I think LOL) for the input. God...more money.....more learning.....brain fuse blowing...done.

cheers bullet

P.S I guess a tablet would be handy right now.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 18-06-2010 , 02:36 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bullet1968
aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! !!!!!!! Im only just learning Maya dude........sob...sob LOL.

Oh well I guess if its quicker it helps. Thanks (I think LOL) for the input. God...more money.....more learning.....brain fuse blowing...done.

cheers bullet

P.S I guess a tablet would be handy right now.

Bullet if you want to experience the feeling of 3d sculpting without paying any money (I haven't tried the program myself but sounds promising) check out that sculptrist program if you haven't already, was posted at this link https://srv01.simply3dworld.com/showt...threadid=34104

I haven't been able to try it out since I've been running my computer in linux recently.

# 18 18-06-2010 , 03:23 AM
EduSciVis-er
There's no chance that learning to model well in maya is wasted effort. Many of the skills are transferable (especially the eye for it) and I really doubt that all modelling will be done with sculpting packages in the near future.

# 19 18-06-2010 , 03:45 AM
There will always be modeling in Maya and other packages and knowing how to do it is always a plus. All i was bringing up is that the new programs have really trimed off the fat as far as how fast your can produce your work and art.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 20 18-06-2010 , 05:21 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh Rhet, got it the moment it was posted. I tried it I dont like it? Doesnt feel right somehow just yet. I need a tablet for sculpting I reckon, the mouse is awkward. I havent done any organic so I would try with that, it seems to simplify just a different way of thinking.

Nah Kurt I know what you are on about, its just another tool in the kit. It would be faster once you learnt to use it at its fullest. But like GPS Surveying equipment/software it will have limits and thats when you drop back to Maya etc. They will all have their niche, so to speak.

Yeh stwert, some things are good for basics. Like Surveying, you can have 4 million dollar software but not having 'the eye' for it means its useless.

chhers bullet

P.S Kurt, if they get the brain comms direct to the PC soon, you wont even need a tablet.....LOL...just think of the model and it will materialise for you on the screen.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 21 18-06-2010 , 11:05 AM
The thin red line
Hi All
When I talk about advertizing it was to pay for updating the site, another thought free advertizing on this site for discount for members, Im only look to increase involved membership. At this moment in time on this post zbrush has been advertized by us about 8 times, photoshop about 3 times..........dave

# 22 18-06-2010 , 12:40 PM
Lifetime Member
I agree LOL dave BUT also have a look so far who has responded? give it a few days to a week and see how many hits it gets dave. Why dont you make it a poll???

Ads dave, contractual or sponsors?? which is the way you would want to go there?

What about online tutoring/short courses dave? do you have the resources for that??? That would increase members I would think. If thats also the way you want to go?

cheers bullet

I mean really short courses that can be accredited to Uni mods or TAFE mods?

bullet1968

# 23 18-06-2010 , 12:48 PM
The thin red line
Hi Bullet
I have no power to do any thing, its upto the powers that be. I would like to here peoples idears any idears................dave

# 24 18-06-2010 , 12:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Is SM in the Facebook/Twitter etc area?? that might be a way to boost interest and members?? Get it out in the public arena for free, ad comps in those areas with some simple prizes etc (cost is the problem).

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 25 18-06-2010 , 01:36 PM
Head of 3d Admedia
i totally agree the site needs to be "rebranded"

# 26 18-06-2010 , 02:01 PM
Lifetime Member
Start the movement dave

bullet1968

# 27 18-06-2010 , 05:22 PM
Super Moderator
Change can be good, but as already mentioned, in this case, change costs money. Planting ads on the site is tricky to a degree, because it can turn people off and how much is too much before the page starts looking "too busy"? I don't want to log in and get bombarded by ads for dating sites and boner pills.

I think they should merge the boards already, simplyMax is as dead as a doornail. Host some challenges (even mini ones) that get front page promo instead of being tucked away in the corner along with the rest of what is going on in the community, pick up some more traffic in those lounges. Maybe the winning piece(s) can get a few days on the frontpage (assuming that there are rules for defining "finished" work) or even just for fist bumps and high fives, give people more incentive to not only join but to finish and actually stick around. And just to pretty much let people know that there's stuff happening here, it might bring some lurkers out, might turn the "hit & dips" into regular visitors.

The current medal idea is good but what do they mean when there is a challenge only every once in a blue moon (probably why the size of those medals didn't become a problem yet).

Speaking of lounges, I can understand the need for "Announcments" right down to "Battle Arena" with the exception of the newbie lounge because frankly, everyone is using it as a general lounge. Anyways, I don't see why Polys and Nurbs are separate, same goes for "Lighting, Camera & Rendering" and "Mental Ray". Maybe "Animation" and "Dynamics & Special Effects" should be one as well.

As Raphael mentioned, SM might need a rebranding, workflows have changed and if the site is offering tuts featuring said workflows then it might need that overhaul.

- Genny
# 28 18-06-2010 , 06:10 PM
The thin red line
Hi Genny
I would only want adds for 3D stuff. I think you are wright in merging a lot of the board then things like wip could have photo shop stuff or mudbox, would this be end of simplymaya possible yes and no, the start of a wide 3D forume that reflects how the work flow is done but keeps the freindly side of SM.............dave

# 29 18-06-2010 , 06:47 PM
EduSciVis-er
I'll be completely honest here and say what I think about this site. This site for me has an awesome community with great members, and the best I've come across. I've heard this from many others too. So the forum is a very strong part of the site, in terms of a quick way to find answers to problems, a fun place to take part in challenges, and a helpful way to get good feedback on projects.
I personally don't use this site for tutorials as much, though I have watched some in the past (other resource types and places are more cost effective and well-rounded for me I think). It is challenging and expensive to provide a large selection of tutorials on all topics that people want.

So, I think this site should focus on the areas in which it excels, and maybe re-think some other areas. If simplymaya wants to branch out into a wider array of tutorials, that's fine, but I think directing energy into more community-based areas could be beneficial. Also, as mentioned, exposure on social networking sites could be a big plus.
My $0.02.

# 30 18-06-2010 , 09:12 PM
The thin red line
Hi stwert
At the moment I am not talking about branching out to new areas of tutorial but thing that are done already by stuidios and members like (maya, zbrush, maya,photoshop, maya to nuke) but good quality models that would stand up in a production. I dont think we have a problem with people joining the site as I see each day people joining to get the tutorials but they do not seem to stop why? I think the site looks dull as simple as that. A lot of good work has been done on this site but it is hiden away?..........I know I started this post but this should be for the members to let know how they feel.............dave