Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 02-11-2010 , 01:24 AM
Lifetime Member

Questions about Smooth Proxy options.

Hi, I have been doing tutorials here and have been learning lots. If the person making the tutorial stipulates what option boxes to tick I'm fine. (Or if they are running off the custom Default settings)

Specifically with the Smooth/Sub Div Proxy tool, apart from the Division Levels and Continuity I dont really get what they all do (So I havent been touching them if its working) But occasionally the instruction 'Create a Smooth Proxy' has different results than what is shown on the Vid...

I changed to Maya 2010 a few months ago (-sigh- and now 2011 is out) took me ages to find the 'Smooth Proxy' no longer existed.

A brief rundown on when I would and wouldnt change things like Map Borders, Linear or Exponential would be great..

But while this would sate my curiosity I really need help with a small but annoying problem I have with several meshes in two seperate projects. When I create a Sub Div Proxy of these particular meshes, I can't turn the visibility of the rough Mesh Layer off without losing the new smoothed mesh from the screen also. Though I can turn off visibility of the Smooth layer without losing the rough mesh. ATM I'm fiddling with the transparency settings of the stuff I need to see through. I've obviously done something to these meshes not to the tool or any Maya prefs as new Meshes have no issues... I've deleted history and freezed transformations and ungrouped them in the outliner from anything else ... I have put alot of work into these meshes and scared theres something really wrong and continuing to work on them will be wasted.. Any ideas what I have done???

Last edited by 3dStudent; 02-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.
# 2 02-11-2010 , 02:23 PM
Lifetime Member
Well I dont know what the problem was, but the solution was pretty easy in the end. I lost count long ago of how many times I'd clicked on 'Remove Selected Object' and 'Add Selected Object' but to layers I created on the first day. All it took in the end was to 'Empty Layer' (every layer), delete them, created new layers, re-distributed the objects in the scene to where they have always been and everything behaved....?