Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 91 16-09-2003 , 01:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
Hey, guys, just a little FYI, we've started some preliminary character work at the studio, so I asked what kind of time frame they usually want characters done in.

5 DAYS! user added image That's modeled and textured.

Obviously, we're talking 8-10 hour work days, here, but even so, I think 2 characters over a course of a month isn't too over the top.

Just thought I'd let you know. user added image

# 92 16-09-2003 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
Lordy!

# 93 17-09-2003 , 09:19 AM
Subscriber
Mike, just so I get this clear.... I am allowed 10 textures for the outside level Ok. But does that include normal colours? like say I need to use black for something? do I have to make a black texture and use that? or can I use Maya's colours? and would that be included in the 10?

Scraggy

# 94 17-09-2003 , 11:50 AM
Subscriber
I believe you would need to make a small 16x16 black image. That's what I'm doing at least. I think I heard him say that somewhere in this thread or another. Can't really rmemeber. Correct me if I'm wrong Mike.

I have a question now: Obviously, we can only take screen shots of our models because games don't render. If games don't render, how can some games have reflective flooring and mirrors? Super Mario 64 had a giant mirror room and many games I know of have reflective floors. Reflections are only achievable by rendering and when you have raytracing on I believe. So we have a small paradox. My guess is that games engines can have a mini-renderer that can conjure up a few special effects, but that's all. Am I right?

# 95 17-09-2003 , 12:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
Scraggy, remember, it's 10 512s that your limit is. So, you can split one of those 512s, into 4 128s if you wanted.

Dark, reflectivity and such are special fx that are programmed into game engines using such methods as pixel shaders.

# 96 17-09-2003 , 02:08 PM
Subscriber
Thanks Mike - that makes life a LOT easier user added image I wonder If you could help me out here, because I'm struggling with textures and so-far no-one has answered my posts on ther matter...
This was my last post....

I hope someone can help me out here because I have been trying to create decent looking texture(s) for my Level.
I'm especially having problems with mesh type ones or the 'walkway' type of stuff - like in Unreal. where there are just raised bumps so you don't slip. Are there any tutorials for Photoshop that shows how to do grills/mesh's etc?

And the 'alpha' channel... Is that for creating these bumps, in a bump-map? (And do I need one to create a 'glass' texture?) I'm just about to try learning how to create them in Photoshop, some basics would help a lot..

Regards Scraggy

# 97 17-09-2003 , 05:27 PM
The Maya Mountain
Alpha maps control transparancy or specular.

Bump mapping can only be done by the using what's called "normal maps," effectively mapping the actual normals with light information. Don't worry if you don't have the programs necessary to make use of that.

# 98 18-09-2003 , 08:32 AM
hey mike i've bevel my polygon now it doesnt accept my texture file how can i fix this???? thanks

cyaah!!
# 99 18-09-2003 , 12:51 PM
The Maya Mountain
beveling, splitting, and other forms of adding geometry to a model causes the UVs to no longer be correct, and you'd need to UV map it.

# 100 23-09-2003 , 11:39 AM

5 days for a character .

Thats a long time which studio is this .. so I can go for a rest .. user added image

# 101 23-09-2003 , 02:32 PM
The Maya Mountain
heh heh, yeah stoppy, 5 days is a very adequate time. I failed to mention that includes all rigging and animation, too. My studio is Warthog Texas, link in my sig.

ATTENTION:
It's getting toward the end of the challenge! When you finish, please post in the "Finished Entries" thread for your category! Thanks!

# 102 23-09-2003 , 02:51 PM
Yeah,

couple of my old workmates went on to WARTHOG Cheadle (UK)
I was there for a maya training job, but a background artist job came up at REVOLUTION (York) on Broken Sword 3 and I couldnt refuse.

Just getting back into low poly char modeling now. Ill post something if you like.

# 103 25-09-2003 , 03:29 PM
The Maya Mountain
ATTENTION:

Everyone should definitely be heavy into the texturing phase now! Time's a tickin'!

# 104 25-09-2003 , 06:36 PM
Subscriber
I'm heavily into the throw myself off a building stage...does that count? 8)

# 105 25-09-2003 , 08:00 PM
Only if the building has been textured.