Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-03-2014 , 05:21 PM
EduSciVis-er

Delayed particle tracking

I'm trying to constrain a locator to a particle, but no matter what I attempt, the locator is always trailing the particle by one frame.

I have tried to use a normal expression of the type:
Code:
vector $position = `nParticle -at worldPosition -id 0 -q targetParticleShape`;

loc.translateX = $position.x;
loc.translateY = $position.y;
loc.translateZ = $position.z;
And I have tried putting the evaluation after dynamics by doing something like this in the particle expression Runtime after dynamics:
Code:
vector $partPos = targetParticleShape.position;
float $xPos = $partPos.x;
float $yPos = $partPos.y;
float $zPos = $partPos.z;

loc.translateX = $xPos;
loc.translateY = $yPos;
loc.translateZ = $zPos;
But they all come to the same thing... the locator is delayed by a frame and is not fully constrained to the particle position.

Basically if I pause the sim and evaluate the particle position query it comes out as a different value as the current translate of the locator. It must be possible to make these equal.

Any thoughts?

# 2 19-03-2014 , 05:50 PM
Technical Director
Not off the top of my head, and I don't have an installation at the moment to test something out, however you could try using a particle to curve path script, then attaching the locator to it via a motion path. It should work as long as your particle has constant velocity.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 19-03-2014 , 05:53 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks ND, that might work. Unfortunately the locator actually will end up influencing the sim itself, so it kind of needs to happen on the fly, otherwise I would cache the sim and do a similar hack to get it in the right place at the right time.

# 4 20-03-2014 , 06:46 PM
EduSciVis-er
So the resolution of this ended up being that I just ignored the delay for the simulation and decided not to have the locator's downstream effects influence the simulation. Then when I cached the simulation, the locator "caught up" and there's no longer a delay. It's kind of strange, but I assume that using the cached simulation allows Maya to put the proper information at the proper time because it knows what will happen on a given frame?