Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 21-03-2005 , 11:51 PM

For people who have lots of time

I've a bunch of questions, but i dont know who to ask these questions to... Only if you are bored, and have free time to answer plz do. Do not waste time on these if u are busy. hahaha.

Thanks people. I'm new to maya, and these are just some theory questions.

1) what progs. dont take higher than degree 3 curves?

2) if i use CV curve tool, or in a surface make an extra Isoparm, does that raise the degree of the curve? Is isoparm just indicators of connecting to EPS? like Hulls to CV's?

3) if chord-length is proportional to length, why is it irregularly spaced? doesn't proportional mean "regularly spaced"??!?!

4) when two NURB surfaces are attached, but has different direction of U/V. what happens? Does it get messed up and i have to reverse curve?

5) whats the diff between "section" and "span"? are they just different words to describe? ( I really am confused about this... "section spans" "sections" "spans" @_@!!

6) how come "degree" does not change when number of spans are changed? Do number of spans/EP not matter to degrees at all? or is it because degree only determine the ratio of Span to EPs. (ex. degree 4 curve will have more than 4 cv's per span)

7) what is a Bezier curve?

8) why does the my curve have 4 spans, when there are only 7 CVs?? since im using default 3 degree.. shouldn't it be 2 spans? coz 1 span has 4 cvs?

9) is increasing degree undesirable? so if using a "Pen Curve" tool, should i rebuild the curves w/ 3 degrees to keep and change it to "UNIFORM" from "Chord Length"?

10) to make sure a curve passes through another curve, is using EP for snap-to-curve the only choice?

11) how does alpha channel work? if you have "alpha" channel, does it always ignore "black" to and only use "white"? Problem w/ mine at first was trying to use alpha channel, it got kinda transparent on "white" places. (nm, downloading alpha-channel tutorial)

12) texture question: diffuse/bump maps, is it done in Maya or in photoshop? no need to go into details, just which prog? (you can tell how much of a lowly Maya creature i am.. by this question)