Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 14-02-2007 , 04:51 AM
Subscriber
update time! i have...
resized the engine at the back
finished off the guns
seperated the pieces of the robot so i can rig it
touched up and finished off the head
and changed the bit the head is built on to make it cool less blocky
user added image
user added image
so hows this then?

I love maya
# 32 16-02-2007 , 05:43 AM
Subscriber
hey, i think i am finished modeling now and would like to start rigging the robot but i need the go ahead from you lot first, is it ok? (images above)
say so if its not perfect cause i have lots and lots of time

I love maya
# 33 16-02-2007 , 09:40 PM
Subscriber
i have just finished the rig and in a bored moment saved a copy and attached it to the robot
user added image
heres the rig
user added image
and here is the robot with the rig (this one rocks)
https://www.3dshowreel.com/imageup/vi...171710598n.jpg
follow the link and its a full screen render so make sure you zoom in

I love maya
# 34 17-02-2007 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
well i have been a busy be i made an example rig and decided to see how it would move and got a bit carried away
tell me what you think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj4BXwRIZ84
i have the music sorted out for the animation but i need to know can i use someone eles music since it is for non-commercial use? and i would like to share this to but i don't know how. does any one know any web sites?

I love maya
# 35 20-02-2007 , 12:34 PM
Subscriber
Really cool model. Still, it wouldn't hurt putting some more detailing on the railgun and some of the plain faces on it.

The animation looks weird, really... Think his legs are too much apart in the front and the walk-cycle seems to defy physics a bit. I haven't played MGS so I don't know how those chaps move in the game, but if you are to use telescoping/sliding motion on the legs, I think it should be the lower part of the legs telescoping on themselves rather then sliding on the upper thingies.

If you haven't "locked" the model yet, I'd also recomend making the groin a bit wider to make the walk-cycle a bit more realistic. After all.. It's supposed to support ALOT of weight and unless they have invented some super-strong unobtainium alloys it might be a bit flimsy.

Oh and don't get me wrong... I'm really impressed with the design as it is now too and it's way beyond my capabilities (struggeling with making a "working" gyro atm) but my subjective opinion is it could be even better.

Attached Images

-DX-
# 36 21-02-2007 , 02:58 PM
Subscriber

I love maya
# 37 26-02-2007 , 07:38 PM
Subscriber
why am i the only one posting here, whats up with my robots walk.
for my animation i needed a warehouse so i made one. let me know what you think of my Caged Bird. btw i will add colour next
user added image

I love maya
# 38 28-02-2007 , 11:42 PM
Subscriber
since i have played with lighting all week its time i shown you my work
user added image
and my song and a really really advise you to download it its mega hot. and you metal gear fans will love it. if you could give me a music upload site it would be much appreciated
this link takes you to megaupload to the song (follow the onscreen instructions)
https://www.megaupload.com/?d=SVRLCHRG
please don't use it on your works its my song not yours,cheers

I love maya
# 39 13-03-2007 , 07:52 AM
Subscriber
yesterday i did a full screen render with basic colours for my desktop (here)
user added image
and i realised that my robot being grey messed it up so i have added colour to my robot (just as a sample) now when i make my textures i know what colour i want to use
*all thanks for the material goes to younglions studio tutorial i ripped out his car paint shader, i said it would come in useful lol. is it ok if i use it younglion?*
user added image

I love maya
# 40 15-03-2007 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
has this thread got the flew? i'm not even getting as much views as i used to
i have got good news and bad news. its all good for me but not so much for you
bad news: i can't texture and i dont want to ruin it so i am done with the modeling, rigging and lighting
good news: i have a brand new super cool image!!! beware cause you might just wet your selfs in amazement...brace your selfs...
click me for the image it takes you to 3d showreel (from 3d-palace)

I love maya
# 41 15-03-2007 , 10:42 PM
Looks good man, not too sure about the colour, bit "70s Cortina brown"

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 42 16-03-2007 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by gster123
Looks good man, not too sure about the colour, bit "70s Cortina brown"

i like cortina brown user added image lol
i tryed it with loads of different colours and this brown/bronze colour won me over. what colour do you suggest?

I love maya
# 43 20-03-2007 , 09:33 AM
Subscriber
my latest image is
user added image
i don't like it.
i think its so "blah" because the robot is to dark and the environment is to bright...hmmmmmm...any idea's people? i'm useing mental ray and maya and a blah picture can some one help me fix it

I love maya
# 44 20-03-2007 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber
Looks great! What's the poly-count?

Open your eyes... Someone or something powerful created these creatures, these draconians... This is a war of conquest... This is the portent of the fallen stars... We face a foe who seeks, at the very least, to enslave us, or perhaps destroy us completely.
# 45 22-03-2007 , 11:58 PM
Subscriber
the last render does look abit to dark, infact very user added image

try rendering what you did last time where you said, "yesterday i did a full screen render with basic colours for my desktop (here)" where everything was light and perfect but make the mech some other colour such as light blue or green, whatever rocks your boat ...

thats my two sense :p

mj