Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 28-10-2008 , 11:06 AM

Looking for Maya mental ray Guru

I apologize if this breaks any forum rules, feel free to delete the post if it is. I figured since the topic is about a free site meant to benefit the mental ray artist, that it wasn't SPAM.

I recently started up the mental ray materials repository site mrmaterials.com and then ran into problems with my dedicated server host, so I just got done purchasing a server and housing it in a co-location center here in Seattle and can get back to trying to make the site a useful resource.

With that said, I have had a hard time finding a Maya person to help out, yes it is a non-paying job, but it is a chance for someone to take advantage of the position and gain recognition as an authority and to help out the community. The position could involve as little as just helping out with the MatLabs (balanced material scenes) when we need to make adjustments or add more and making material presets for commercial product donations (Currently have 20 full resolution texture sets from Arroway to give away and need help on the Maya versions), etc. Or the position can be taken advantage of and you can write blogs, tutorials, etc. similar to what Jeff Patton has done there.

Well I will not take more of your valuable time, just trying to find someone interested in helping out the community, I myself don't use May, so I can only do Max and XSI stuff, hence my search to find someone knowledgeable in Maya and mental ray and who is willing to donate some time helping out. You can contact me using the contact form at mrmaterials.com or 3dallusions.com

Thank you for your time,

Russell Thomas

# 2 28-10-2008 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
mental ray is in xsi too,
its a stand alone application

(i dont mean to sound rude, i'm just a little confused, isnt it the same in xsi as it is in maya? i haven't seen the settings for it in xsi but i thought they would be the same)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 29-10-2008 , 12:48 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
mental ray is in xsi too,
its a stand alone application

(i dont mean to sound rude, i'm just a little confused, isnt it the same in xsi as it is in maya? i haven't seen the settings for it in xsi but i thought they would be the same)

i think russel realises that MR is also in XSI. if i understand correctly, i think he is just looking for a maya / mental ray expert to act as a moderator on his site.

# 4 29-10-2008 , 01:18 AM
Correct, we plan and have the infrastructure to support Max, Maya, XSI and standalone mental ray, we have three MatLabs (hard surface, cloth and transparent/SSS) for Max, Maya and XSI. I uploaded over 300 Max materials and am working on XSI now, but I don't own or know how to use Maya and wouldn't do it justice, nor do I have the time.

So I am looking for help with Maya. The site is not a forum, it is a repository for materials and knowldege. My idea was to keep it separate from communities/forums to avoid political affiliations of sorts. I am the founder of 3DAllusions,com, I really don't want to start another community user added image

So in short I am looking for someone to help with the Maya portion of mental ray materials repository. That person can make of it what they want as far as being beneficial for them selves, the minimum is someone that doesn't disappear for months and that can squeeze some time in once in a while to help out. The task at hand is 20 commercial texture sets to be made into material presets, max is done, I am working on the XSI versions, I need help with Maya versions.

It is not a paying job so I know it is not attractive to a lot of people, before the move to the new servers for three months it averaged around 4 million hits a month. Jeff Patton is part of the team and has tutorials on sale at Gnomonology and so I supported him by putting up a banner linking to the products. I help those who help me as best I can, it just isn't with financial compensation.

Thanks!

Last edited by TheAllusionist; 29-10-2008 at 01:24 AM.
# 5 29-10-2008 , 02:26 AM
Just a thought, but you might want to add a post / link to the resources lounge.

i'm afraid i'm no expert when it comes to mental ray, so can't offer my services.

# 6 29-10-2008 , 02:49 AM
Thanks for the suggestion!