Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 166 21-05-2009 , 10:13 PM
ha ha ha - dango77 this is looking awesome - nice work mate and i am really liking the composition you have going on at the moment - it really feels like some crazy space battle - nice one.

got to be honest tho - not sure i'm loving the colors at the moment of the main ship - i like the color scheme - but the greens and browns just seem a bit too rich and don't really give any impression of weathering - which will help make it look real. i'd maybe knock back the saturation and value in the greens and browns. just my opinion tho. user added image

# 167 21-05-2009 , 10:20 PM
Thanks Arran!
I'm trying!...lol!
I agree with your opinion on the colours of the main ship, I've made some changes to it already and it's looking quite different, not actually changed the colours, just the saturation etc, as you suggested, great minds think alike...lol!
Also made some changes to the shader they're on so it'll look a whole lot more different when the final image is revealed, quite a bit more like a space ship!
Thanks for your comments, they are much appreciated!

# 168 22-05-2009 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
It reminds me a book by Arthur C. Clark (Childhood end).

The extraterrestrials were collecting samples of life forms on earth, and they took to their planet a wale and a giant squid to make a scene in a museum with the two animals fighting.

Congratulations for that nice composition.

Last edited by taquion; 23-05-2009 at 08:33 AM.
# 169 22-05-2009 , 11:54 PM
Thanks tarquion,
I think I may have read that book many years ago, I read a lot but not so much the sci-fi these days. But did go through an Asimov and A.C. Clark stage about 15 years ago!
I've added more bits and pieces since that render but you'll just have to wait to see that!
I can say I'm quite happy with it so far though, just can't believe there's only a week and a bit to go, it's flown by...lol

I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's entries.

# 170 23-05-2009 , 12:17 AM
The Nurb Herd
Ha! I knew those would be squidy type things -looks cool, glad to see it with out the sun and sky user added image

Is the 2nd ship a duplicate? If it is, the extra polygons will be the reason you can't render the geometry. if you take out some of the unnecessary geometry in the background one it might make it easier on your computer.

# 171 23-05-2009 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
If you went throw an asimov stage you may like to know they are making a movie of the "foundation" . Perhaps you already know.

Last edited by taquion; 23-05-2009 at 08:42 AM.
# 172 23-05-2009 , 11:11 AM
Thanks Hammer,
I tried what you said and deleted some of the hidden geometry from the scene and still couldn't get it to render all at the same time, but the final scene does have more in it than the Occlusion render, so that's maybe the reason. It's also pretty texture heavy so that wouldn't help either! Thanks for the ideas though. user added image

I didn't know about the movie version of "Foundation" getting made Taquion, will have to do a search on that! Cheers for the info!

# 173 25-05-2009 , 11:50 PM
Thought I'd post another little hinter at what I'm going for, the obvious colour to be an adversary for a green ship seemed to be red ones, so that's what I'm going for, here's an early version of the top right corner of the scene, battle in progress.

Attached Thumbnails
# 174 25-05-2009 , 11:55 PM
Subscriber
err... isn't the opposite of green purple?
user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 175 26-05-2009 , 12:05 AM

Originally posted by Chirone
err... isn't the opposite of green purple?
user added image

I meant colours that compliment each other, but actually on a colour wheel Green is directly opposite Red. The opposite of Purple is yellow.

# 176 26-05-2009 , 12:09 AM
Subscriber
O_o,
i got emailed a notice when you modified your post

now that i googled a colorwheel i found you're right, that shade of green is opposed to red

the lighter shade opposes violet

anyway, nice work on your previews... all this preview stuff has made me stop posting on my thread so i don't reveal too much before the final

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 177 26-05-2009 , 12:13 AM
We all make mistakes Chirone, it's cool, you are a human after all! lol! I on the other hand am still under debate...
I have been trying to hold off on the previews and save it til the end, but fortunately the one I just posted doesn't give it all away. I've actually pretty much finished, just tweaking to do.
I might render some other angles (ones that won't be used for the final image) just for fun, that way I can post without giving the game away!

Last edited by Dango77; 26-05-2009 at 12:17 AM.
# 178 27-05-2009 , 01:46 AM
I've decided to try and do another pod sized ship for the scene, something for the grubb pods to fight that's more their size! Going to try and have it modeled and textured by friday, then get it rendered and in the scene over the weekend. Only just started so hopefully I'll get it done!
The rest of the scenes sorted, all other ships and environment done.

Attached Thumbnails
# 179 27-05-2009 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
awww, it looks so cute and cuddly like an exploration submarine, why does it have to fight?? :hug:

it also looks like it should transform...

yeah i have a weird imagination sometimes

the mesh looks so clean and the model is awesome

# 180 27-05-2009 , 02:20 AM
Subscriber
I do agree that it is cute. And the modeling is good. Very nice work Dango! You have come so far since the last competition!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).