Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 31 23-04-2009 , 07:36 PM
Subscriber
nooooo not cs4 - its sucks - get cs3 instead

# 32 23-04-2009 , 07:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
Ah, thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind. It's probably cheaper too.

Where would I find old versions of photoshop?

# 33 24-04-2009 , 05:33 AM
EduSciVis-er
Small update, started working on the collar middle portion of the ship that will connect everything together...
and I just discovered that Elements 2.0 (haha... old) does have multiply and exclusion layers and all that, so I must have been blind. Thanks for the help on that, tweetytunes.

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 02-05-2009 , 10:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
So since I'm leaving for Europe in a few days and won't be back home (Victoria, BC, Canada) until after the deadline has passed, I'm going to post what I have so far and call it a "final image". I really learned lots on this challenge, which was the main point for me, and I really appreciate everyone who made comments and gave helpful information. It's so useful to have experienced people giving tips and tricks to a novice like me.

I'm hoping to continue working on this after the challenge is done to learn some texturing and I also wanted to feature some particle effects. The escape pods are in the back of the engine bodies, which seems like an odd place (I guess it is) but that way, the smoke pouring from the engine exhaust pipes will create a literal smokescreen for a hidden getaway.

Comments and crits are still welcome, cause I'll learn from them even if I don't get to implement them.

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 30-05-2009 , 06:56 AM
Subscriber
About Photoshop, why dont you take a look at Gimp?,
its free and a very nice and powerfull program. Everyone seems to be obsessed with PS because it is the more broadly used.

Your ship is quite cool and well made, of the fantasy type more than scifi.

About rotating, is better to use the channel box. Highligt rotate x or y or z, and instead of use exact numbers you can hold the control key and move the mouse pressing the middle mouse button to change the values at your liking.

Last edited by taquion; 31-05-2009 at 08:07 AM.
# 36 30-05-2009 , 08:56 PM
cool! looked at this on my phone this morning - ha ha - this looks mad - nice job mate - i really like all the different elements. user added image

# 37 11-06-2009 , 03:59 AM
EduSciVis-er
Just got back from holidays yesterday. I'm sorry I missed the rest of the competition, but I checked out the final entries and a lot of them look terrific. Hopefully I can join in the next competition and get a final entry in.

Taquion, I have tried out Gimp, and it looks pretty good. I'm more familiar with Photoshop Elements though, so I'll probably stick with that until I have time to learn some of the more powerful tools of Gimp or Photoshop CS(3 or 4 or something). I'll try out the channel box rotation too.
Arran, thanks for the comments.