Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 20-07-2003 , 04:17 PM

How should I do that ?

Hello friends of 3D !

Well I´m modelling on a little old propeller airplane with nurbs.
Now I want to connect the wing to the main body of the airplane, but I have no clue which technique I should use ?

It would be great if someone can give me instructions or informations about this problem. Or maybe there exist a full tutorial about modellign an old airplane i nurbs.

thank you all for your help,
bernhard

user added image

contact me via MSN: rieder@utanet.at
# 2 20-07-2003 , 09:59 PM
The Maya Mountain
you might want to take a look at the arm stitching video we have here at SM. It goes over a very similar proceedure.

# 3 21-07-2003 , 08:16 AM

stitching or fillet ?

Hello Mike !

Thx for your info - I´m not sure which technique I should use.
What do you prefer: Stitching or should I use the Fillet Tool to connect the wing and the body ?

thx for your support mike,
:bgreen:

bernhard

# 4 21-07-2003 , 01:10 PM
The Maya Mountain
probably a circular fillet would work fine, seeing as this is a rigid object and won't be bending and stuff.

# 5 21-07-2003 , 02:10 PM

Circular Fillet works, but, but ....

Hello Mike !

Well, great, the circualr Fillet works fine. Here you can see the result. :bgreen:

user added image

What I don´t understand is, that the circular Fillet works fine for the wings, but with the same technique the fillet doesn´t work if I want to connect the cap with the main body of the airplane. Than the surface has gaps, you can see on this image.

user added image

Hmm, the tessellation can´t really solve my problem, because I need a pure good nurbs-mesh --> want to convert that into poly, because I have to export it.

user added image

That is one point I don´t really understand - and I have no clue how I can fix the problem with nurbs modelling only ..... huch

bernhard

# 6 21-07-2003 , 02:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
Is the body of the plane all one piece?

edit:

Nevermind, I see it is. Perhaps try moving the seam of the body to the bottom. Also, make sure all your history is deleted on the body.

# 7 21-07-2003 , 07:36 PM

Seam on the bottom ?

Hello Mike & thx for your great support !

Well, how do you mean that ? The seam to the bottom ?

I have many seams on the main body from the airplane - hmm, can´t really follow you - you know, my english isn´t the best.

bernhard

# 8 21-07-2003 , 07:42 PM
Subscriber
most of those problems looks to me like they can be fixed by increasing tesselation on the nurbs, try that

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 9 21-07-2003 , 07:47 PM

Tesselation !

Well the Tesselation is one thing, that take effect after the render process. But I don´t need that, because I have to export a good mesh to polys.

So it would be great if I could fix the problem in the nurbs modelling technique. hmm, I know, that isn´t really easy.

But some guy out there, will have the solution I think !

thx for your info,
bernhard

# 10 21-07-2003 , 08:26 PM
The Maya Mountain
It seems no matter how many times I give you the solution, you decide you do not like that one and wait for another. But again, I'll say that if you're going to convert to polygons, it'll be SIMPLE to merge those vertices together once it has been converted. MUCH more simple then trying to get the nurbs to behave the way you want.

# 11 22-07-2003 , 10:36 AM

Mike - you are right

Hello Mike !

Hihi, well, well - I´ve experimented for one week with the nurbs solution - I never give up things that I want reach.

But in this way, it seems to bee easier to convert the fillet surface into polygons. You did say me that for one week - I know.

But you know, I have no experience with poly modelling in Maya.
And at the start I wanted to avoid learning modelling with polys, and nurbs and/or subdiv together. Cause it´s really much to learn at the beginning, and that is confusing me. user added image

Yep, but I will try it with polys and give my best !

:bgreen:

thx for your great support mike,
bernhard