Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 15-12-2010 , 10:09 AM

converting triangle polygons to quads ?

Hi
can anybody tell me how to convert triangle polygons to quads in maya 2009 user added image

user added image

# 2 15-12-2010 , 10:32 AM
Subscriber
Can you post a bigger picture of your object? Cant really see where this edge going.

The best way to modify is by hand. Delete edge (what you dont like) & split polygon tool.

# 3 15-12-2010 , 10:58 AM
Lifetime Member
I believe 'quadrangulate' does the trick and adjust the settings (mesh>quadrangulate checkbox>adjust settinds). I do however agree with joey...what is the edge actually for? and I would also agree with joey to do it by hand...much better control. Get used to deleting edges as you progress, some times I make heaps of edge loops to delete a good portion of them..or even when I use the split poly tool, sometimes more is too much. You will also merge verts a lot as you delete edges etc...its a combo thing really, decide what you need and adjust, then disregard what you dont.

I found when I first started I tried to have a gazillion lines and verts etc...now I try to have less and think of the placement etc..LOL but sometime you change your mind.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 15-12-2010 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber

Can you post a bigger picture of your object? Cant really see where this edge going.

The best way to modify is by hand. Delete edge (what you dont like) & split polygon tool.

Just make sure you delete the remaining vertices after you delete the edges, they get left behind and you end up with ngons which is a lot worse than tris and things like your insert edge loop tool will no longer work. Looks to me like where ever that edge is going it is not a very good use of geometry so if it's meant for tying something together there must be a better way of doing it in another area.

# 5 15-12-2010 , 12:14 PM
Administrator
Hi sonah, I just moved this thread. Please post modeling related questions under modeling rather than in the basics and newbie section so that other people find these threads when they search the modeling forum for answers to things like this.

Thanks and I hope the model works out well for youuser added image
Nilla

# 6 15-12-2010 , 12:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Yes Brian you are right I missed that part out, there is an option Edit Mesh>delete edge/vertex

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 7 17-12-2010 , 12:25 PM
Unfortunately there is no magic "makequad" tool in maya. There is quadrangulate mesh but seriously it just creates a mess. What you need to do is fix those triangle by hand. Unfortunately there is not enough of the mesh visible to really get an idea of the best way to fix it. The two tiny tri's in the middle can be fixed by just collapsing the edges or merging the verts leaving the big tri on top and bottom which you could cut edges to in order to make them quads. But I cannot see enough of the mesh to understand why that edge needs to be there and therefore cannot suggest the best way to fix it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 17-12-2010 , 03:46 PM
Subscriber
I would guess, that that edge was created erroneously while using the cut faces tool. Perhaps the user wasn't familiar with the tool's usage and didn't realize that when they cut face on an object that it slices thought eh entire object from the angle its viewed from, ...
Were you trying to make an edge across a specific face, of the object from perspective view and later discovered that the edge was through the full object in question?.. The two triangles that are smaller, and the face that all the verts on the edge shown are co-planar suggest this to me.

I ask because its a good learning point for new users, Even if not what happened to your mesh, I still do it on occasion, Lets say i have used the cut faces tool for something, step away for a moment, and forget to deactivate the tool while going to select another component in my scene, blam i end up with an edge through my model that looks just like what you have there,

Agian though, the solution would be more forthcoming if one can view the object as a whole to see what you were trying to achieve.

# 9 21-12-2010 , 09:27 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
To avoid cutting thru faces with the cut faces tool, just select the faces you want to cut with it, then it wont affect other parts of the meshuser added image A little nugget that not many people are aware of....

Jay

# 10 21-12-2010 , 11:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Well you learn something new...thanks Jay

bullet1968