Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 23-01-2003 , 01:40 AM
Subscriber

And now they are attatched

It worked without problems.

One thing though:
Although the attatch options, make a blend alternative, due to (probably) the closeness of the isoparms, on the surfaces, the blending did not generate that blended surfaces... um..

So, I detatched BOTH surfaces (to be attatched) close to the end, in order to create a gap, which I then fill in with the "attatch surface" with the blend option.

I hope that made sense. user added image

# 32 23-01-2003 , 01:48 AM
Really starting to look good. You are much better with Nurbs than I am. Great start, hope you can finnish this one.
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 33 23-01-2003 , 03:16 AM
Subscriber

Small Update

Hey thanks Brian!

In the pic below I decided to use the stitch tool to connect the whole floater-fuselage to the two new surfaces under the floater.

But the stitch tool works with a parametrizied set of surfaces, which means that both surfaces to be stitched together, "must/should" have the same number of spans/isoparms.

I had to detatch the first floater-surface I made earlier, in order to stitch the two smaller surfaces to the floater-surface.

These four surfaces had a different number of spans/isoparms, so i had to make them "equal". I could not delete any isoparms, so I inserted isoparms on every surface, so that they eventualy had the same number of spans/isoparms, roughly at the same places.

# 34 23-01-2003 , 03:35 AM
Subscriber

First rendering of the Duck

Just a simple rendering. I could not resist putting it in the thread.

Last edited by undseth; 23-01-2003 at 03:38 AM.
# 35 23-01-2003 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber

Um here it is

Yup

# 36 24-01-2003 , 12:19 AM
Subscriber

A freeform fillet op

After duplicating the outer isoparm to a curve, it was scaled bigger and projected onto the fusalage.

The simple freeform-fillet operation gave me this result.

I know I can modlify the way the fillet is shaped by the freeform-fillet-tool, as the history button is still enabled.

But there is an issue on the surface somewhere, so I'll have to tweak something user added image

# 37 24-01-2003 , 12:39 AM
Subscriber

The fillet surface

Hmm. The span count on the two curves are different. The projected curve on the fuselage has a whopping 114 vertices (or so), and the other has only 22.

I am not able to change the span count on the fuselage-curve, but I can move these cv's. The trick is to keep history on and move the cv's on the projected curve (they keep themselves glued" to the fuselage surface) and not try to modify the surface itself (at least not on the outer edges, the inner cv's are modified).

um... so I have tweaked the curve cv's (proj-fuselage-cuve) and some cv's on the fillet surface itself (but only those that aren't on the edge of the surface.

EDIT:
Forget everything above.
The tweaking turned bad user added image

However I identified the problem with the former fillet surface.

The problem was that maya had a "hard time" making this fillet surface AND do the tangency thing.

So I tweaked a few cv's on the end of the wing, so that any tangency to these cv's were nice and rounded and not so sharp as was the result in the former try.

Last edited by undseth; 24-01-2003 at 01:06 AM.
# 38 24-01-2003 , 01:00 AM
Subscriber
This is really coming along nicely.

You know, this would make a great subject for a tutorial. From start to finsh!

user added image

https://www.darrylworley.com/

https://www.defendamerica.mil/nmam.html
# 39 24-01-2003 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber

Lower wing is finished

hmmm I'll have to think aobut it. But no promises.

With the fillet surface ready to attatch to the wind I ran into some issue.

It appeared that the attatch tool did not work. I did eventually figure out how to do this, but do not quite understand what was wrong.

Anyway, the spans running alongside the surfaces were different.
The fillet surface was rebuilt from 26 spans to 22, just like the count on the wing. Stangely, the attatch tool worked this time.

I know the attatch tool did not work with trimmed surfaces, so I undid some easy trims prior to the attatching. I can trim the small things after the attatchment.

I now have a full wing, and I do not intent to attatch it to any object.

Here is the full wing with trim.

# 40 24-01-2003 , 02:58 AM
Subscriber

Aaah...the wings are now done.

It gives me a good feeling to know the hardest parts of this project is done. There are only details left to model.

# 41 24-01-2003 , 03:02 AM
i can see that u've been CRACKING ur brain undseth!

# 42 24-01-2003 , 06:20 AM
Subscriber

Some more details

Um, Right... It seemed like a good idea at the time user added image

Here's another rendering with some more details. user added image

# 43 24-01-2003 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber

Another update

Hope you guys dont mind.

# 44 25-01-2003 , 12:03 AM
Great work!!!!

Very inspiring.....

JD

.....the keenest eye is that which looks inward.....*poke* oww!! My eye!!!!!!!!!!!!
# 45 25-01-2003 , 12:39 AM
Holy crap mate! My head hurts!... <twitch>
GREAT job!

May the force be with you...always!
A Jedi shall not know anger nor hatred nor Love
The only way to live a good life is to act upon your emotions
A warrior is reborn when he has something to protect