Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 06-04-2009 , 10:13 PM

Mirrored geometry (3D painting)

Hi all,

I've been working on my first model for about a month now, and that involved my mirroring the geometry of a single cube-based polygon... Now I'm onto 3D painting, but whenever I go to paint something like the face, it goes onto the hood and mirrors on both the opposite side of the face and the opposite side of the hood like there are four mirrors.

I don't think there are any problems with the geometry, but my professor and I can't find anything to do with 3D painting. We've cleared all history and still encounter this problem. Initially, this was a problem because I wanted the skin on the face to be asymmetrical - so any way to stop it from automatically mirroring would be helpful as well!

Here is a screenshot of the geometry in case it is something like the UVs. I can't screenshot the effect the paint has on the face/hood right now as I'm not on a school computer... (Please don't be too harsh if they're messy and everywhere... it's my first time! :blushuser added image

user added image

Thanks for any help.

# 2 08-04-2009 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber

Re: Mirrored geometry (3D painting)

Originally posted by PinkDagger

after dusting off the paint brush i think you're doing what i think you're doing....

turn off reflection

i assume you went Texturing > 3D Paint > []
under the stroke menu in the attributes is the option for reflection...
of course if it isn't that (which i would assume you tried, or at least your professor pointed you to) then you're screwed because i have no idea! :p but someone else might

although, i don't know if your paint brush gets duplicated if your UVs overlap. most likely the two halves of the model have the same uvs... you should change that if they do

on a non-painting topic looking at your mesh you really really need to spend a lot of time cleaning it up

you should aim to have your faces four sided at least and at most
you should aim to have verts only having 4 edges connected to them, although it's ok to have more or less, it will look cleaner if you don't have 6 edges going into one vertex like you do on the inside of the hood there

the mouth is all weirded out, so i can't really see if that's the lips or teeth

but yeah... it makes deforming (when you animate) a lot smoother and easier if your faces are four sided (quads)

also, posting a screen shot of your mesh does not tell us anything about your UVs and how they are laid out. you need to post a screen shot of the texture editor found in the polygon menu set.
UVs only exist in 2D space after all....

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D