Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-07-2009 , 01:39 PM

Cutting Text Polygons - Hole Problem

Hello all.

I've brought in some bevelled text for a 3D ident. On letters like 'D' 'A' 'O' and any others with 'holes' in them. I can not use the Cut Faces tool or the Split Polygon tool to create new edges/faces on the letters. When trying the Split Polygon tool I'm told I can't start or end on a hole. When trying the Cut faces tool the hole in the letter closes up. Quadrangulating closes the letter's hole too.

Does any one know how I can edit the edges and faces on one of these letters?

Stretch

vay kind of you.
# 2 03-07-2009 , 02:36 PM
Not sure if there's an easier way, someone else may be able to advise better, but you could select all the faces of the letter, extrude them back, giving it thickness, then you can add the edge loops etc and edit it, then if you want it flat again, just delete all the side and back faces leaving you with the flat edited text. Hope that helps!

# 3 03-07-2009 , 03:49 PM
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately I've already set up the letters in Bevelled 3D (see the jpeg attached). Must be someway to cut them up despite this 'hole' issue. The front faces of the letters come in as singular faces where as the the sides of the letters come in as many faces. It's the front face I need to cut.

Hmmmmmm.

Stretch.

vay kind of you.
# 4 03-07-2009 , 05:12 PM
I think if u go to shaded mode then u will see a face is covering the hole where nth was suppose to present.

If it is it then, it is one of the most irritating problem.

one solution of this problem might be this:

use the split poly tool with several "Divisions" level(10 or higher, depends on the complexity of ur model).The relocate the vertex to make a curvature look along the path which u will cut the face to make the hole.Use as many split poly tool as needed.(try to limit the number the division level with respect to the vertex of the main object.otherwise model could turn out messy)

Then delete the central face to make the hole.Then merge the new vertex with the old one of the object.

This solution might be a little weird.But it works!

one tip while trying to move vertex on a certain plane in perspective view:
Click on the axis which u wanna lock(After selecting the MOVE tool), then use the middle button to move it.

# 5 03-07-2009 , 07:46 PM
Thanks all for replies and suggestions. Seems the only way I could really edit the polygons on imported bevelled text from Maya's font list is to triangulate the faces of letters with 'holes' in them and start deleting the new triangulated edges before finally creating nex cuts in the face without getting the same error maessage.

What a bore! Anyway, seems top be working. Just have like twenty more letters to go in this job. Thrilling! Not!!!

Stretch

vay kind of you.
# 6 03-07-2009 , 11:22 PM
The Nurb Herd
i think bevel plus is the best for lettering, its fast and easy. i did this in a few minutes yesterday...

user added image

# 7 04-07-2009 , 09:23 AM
havn't u tried the way i mentioned?...using split ploy tool.