Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-01-2010 , 01:40 AM

How to use misss_fast_skin

Hi there

I am new to Maya an have a special interest in 3D head modelling and photorealistic human animation. I would like to know whether misss_fast_skin can be used alone and assigned directly on a head mesh without a Lambert or Blinn or Phong shader accompanying. I tried it but I got a blank render on Mental Ray. Also how do I assign the bump map with misss_fast_skin if I do not have any other shader like Blinn or Lambert? (If I can't, then I definitely have to use misss_fast_skin with one of the other primary shaders such as Blinn, Lambert or Phong, don't I ? Also can I do assign a texture file to misss_fast_skin or do I need to do it to a Blinn, Lambert or Phong shader and then combine it with misss_fast_skin (which then answers my above question that misss_fast_skin cannot be used alone) ?

Many thanks for all your help!

# 2 11-01-2010 , 01:40 PM
The thin red line
Hi
I dont think you can use sss skin without a shader, the bump map you link to the shader the texture maps you link to sss skin, there is a free tutorial at the gnomonworkshop. I did use it once see (WIP head model) need to work at it........dave

# 3 11-01-2010 , 01:45 PM
Subscriber
I am also looking for a good skin guild with this shadder or another, just not that long winded gnomon one which put me to sleep (no joke - I feel asleep watching it)

# 4 11-01-2010 , 04:33 PM
The thin red line
digitaltutorials do another on the group of ss shaders has 3 section on fast skin not so long winded but you have to pay............dave

# 5 11-01-2010 , 05:34 PM
Technical Director

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 6 12-01-2010 , 02:10 AM

Thanks all

Hi everyone

Thank ya all for your great replies.

Actually, I had already done a previous 3D head using Blinn and Dr Julian's technique of layering skins in Photoshop and then UV-ing it into Maya. I put a Fractal bump map on Lambert and rendered a close-up. Looks great (I'll try to post it later) but I dunno...the skin looks great with the red spots and all (I used Nagel's skin brushes) but it still looks "plastic-ky".

That's why I went on to misss_fast_skin. Now that I know it can't be used alone (thanks dave!), I'll try combining it with Lambert. I've already done it (combining misss_fast_skin with Labert on a head mesh but still "not quite satisfied" with the photorealism. I guess I'll try tweaking it some more.

Thanks guys!

# 7 12-01-2010 , 02:14 AM

tweety tunes, can i see some of your work?

tweety tunes, can i see some of your work?

# 8 12-01-2010 , 03:48 AM
Technical Director
Did you take a look at the link I posted?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.